Old 12-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
Carrying Capacity

Carrying Capacity determines how many weight and space character has for armor, weapons, equipment and other stuff to carry. Encumbrance indicates the effect that the weight of gear that a character is carrying has on his movement rate.

There are 4 levels of encumbrance:
1. None - The character can run and walk at full speed.
2. Light - The character cannot run, but can walk at full speed.
3. Heavy - The character cannot run, the character walks at 50% normal speed.
4. Overloaded - The character cannot move.

The amount of weight corresponding to threshold between levels of encumbrance is dependent on strength. The table is repeated here for completeness:

Old 01-13-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
phil
-- co-founder --
  • Dec 2013
Out of curiosity, is carrying capacity in any game a feature people really like? There is an abundance of discussion on the internet about this topic.

Generally, in most games, inventory limits the amount of items you can carry in order to sell them. You pick up 5 cool things, and 45 junk/vendor trash items, then you take em to the store and sell all the junk in exchange for money. So without investing in strength, you will be a little bit more poor. Fallout NV then allows weak characters to have perks, which allow you to carry more. But really, is any of this really that exciting to anybody, a perk for carrying stuff? I get that not having junk items, can make it feel like you are not being successful, because your inventory is not filling up, but in my opinion, i won't miss not having an artificial limit, that will cause me to have to run back and forth from a "dungeon", just so i can get more cash. If the limit does have to exist for some other reason, why not add something like the Torchlight companion, who can run to town for you, and sell junk, while you explore.

One example of an article thinking about inventory:
http://thoughtcheckgames.com/tag/carrying-capacity/

And just looking at how many features skyrim alone has for this, and think if any sound exciting when you read them:
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/E...e_%28Skyrim%29
Old 01-15-2014, 05:34 PM   #3
ArtX_Jazz
-- registered --
  • Dec 2013
Originally Posted by MrNixon View Post
At level 1 every character has 1 capacity slot for his or her Inventory. Characters gain one bonus capacity slot for their inventory per each 5 scores of primary Strength stat above 10 (15, 20, 25, 30). Extra capacity slots can be obtained by special feats. However total capacity slots can’t be more than 5 slots + 1 bag slot if a bag is used.
Сould you explain what means "capasity slot"?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:23 AM   #4
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
Сould you explain what means "capacity slot"?
Sure. Look at the example from NwN: Capacity Slots are marked by orange arrows. And each Capacity slot have some amount of Inventory Cells. E.g. Power Armor "packed" will consume really decent part of the whole Capacity Slot.
Attached Thumbnails
slots.jpg  
Old 01-16-2014, 09:32 AM   #5
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
Originally Posted by phil View Post
If the limit does have to exist for some other reason, why not add something like the Torchlight companion, who can run to town for you, and sell junk, while you explore.
That is relevant idea I like. Bioware used it pretty well. But we need then to add a chance of something unpredictable during his/her merchandise trip.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #6
ArtX_Jazz
-- registered --
  • Dec 2013
Different items will take different amount of cells (like in Torchlite or Might and Magic) or only one (like in Fallout or Neverwinter)?
Old 01-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #7
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
Originally Posted by ArtX_Jazz View Post
Different items will take different amount of cells (like in Torchlite or Might and Magic) or only one (like in Fallout or Neverwinter)?
We still parley it. The different amount of space system was in Neverwinter 1 (and I'd prefer it); the only one space was in Neverwinter 2. What do You think?
Old 01-23-2014, 08:31 PM   #8
ArtX_Jazz
-- registered --
  • Dec 2013
I like the version with different amount of space.
By the way, very good inventory was in Witcher. Where you have several places to carry weapons and backpack for small items.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
SubjectEight
-- co-founder --
  • Dec 2013
I hope not to start a combat discussion on this thread but, how will inventory be handled during combat? Full unrestricted access? Penalty for accessing inventory? Quick slots?
Old 01-25-2014, 05:56 PM   #10
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
Originally Posted by SubjectEight View Post
I hope not to start a combat discussion on this thread but, how will inventory be handled during combat? Full unrestricted access? Penalty for accessing inventory? Quick slots?
Restricted access (no armor change; no implant reprogramming; helms/weapons/boots/accessories swapping takes 1 round; only usables from inventory allowed). Quick slots allowed, but they are limited (not like in MMMO); extra quick slot for weapon change (left-right hand like in original Fallout 1&2).