Old 11-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
The New Confederacy

The New Confederacy
- the Confederate Cities of America (CCA) commonly referred to as the Confederate Cities (CC) or the New Confederacy, was set up on February 4, 130 A.R. (130 years After the Reset) by several cities within the region formerly known as North America. Those cities included in the New Confederacy were all survivors of the Reset and the nuclear holocaust that came with it, with populations directly descended from the survivors of the Reset. The creation of the CCA was heavily influenced by the Dallas Incident that occurred less than a year before its founding. It was also thanks to the personal charisma and experience of Bill Thomas, who united 5 of the survivor cities in Former North America and became the first President of The Confederate Cities of America after its formation.

The Articles of Confederation (or as they are called now – Articles of Stone, named after their originator Eli Stone, a colleague of Bill Thomas and the first Vice President of CCA) were adopted on June 11, 130 A.R., they state as follows:

1. Name of the New Confederacy: The Confederate Cities of America.

2. The head of the New Confederacy is the President, elected by the Council of Cities once every 5 years. After election, the President has a veto power over any decision by the Council of Cities, except for decisions on amendments of current Articles and on acceptance of new cities into the Confederacy.

3. The sovereignty of the cities of the Confederacy is established and their powers are guaranteed to the extent to which such powers do not fall under the Confederacy.

4. The goal of creating the Confederacy is established; the cities are obligated to help one another.

5. Citizens of the cities are accorded the freedom of movement within the Confederacy. Cities are obligated to extradite criminals and slaves.

6. The right of citizens of the Confederacy to keep and bear arms, the right to a due process hearing (including trial before a jury of their peers), and the right not to be forced to testify against oneself, are all affirmed.

7. The right of citizens of the Confederacy to own private property is affirmed. The right to own slaves – non-citizens of the Confederacy - is affirmed. The freedom of the latter is affirmed (a citizen of the Confederacy cannot be a slave).

8. The principle of "one city has one vote in the Council" and the procedure for appointing delegates to the Council of Cities (the delegates are chosen by the heads of cities) are affirmed.

9. The procedure for awarding military ranks during a war (any rank below a major is awarded by heads of cities).

10. Expenses by the Confederacy are paid for through taxes and in proportions set by the Council of Cities.

11. The Confederacy has the power to declare war, standardize weights and measures (including currency), and consider disputes between cities.

12. Powers, which the Articles do not directly assign to the New Confederacy, are reserved to the cities and citizens.

13. The procedure for accepting new cities into the Confederacy (requires approval by a majority of delegates in the Council of Cities) is established.

14. Procedure for amending the Articles is affirmed – changes must be approved by all the cities.

The official flag of the Confederate Cities of America, known as "Burnt Cross", consists of 5 (at the start of the 132AR) burnt stars inscribed into a blue diagonal cross on a red background. Each star represents one city of the Confederacy.

After the Dallas Incident, news of the sudden emergence of the United Governments quickly spread among few separate settlements of survivors across the Former North America.

Most of the people who survived the Reset on the surface started to blame the United Governments for all that happened. They had hard memories, of loved ones lost in storms of nuclear fire. And those hard memories were inherited by their descendants. Many of those had little to no experiences with the “Invading aliens” of the Reset, and later, generations brought up based on hatred towards the United Governments were stunned by the encounter with the "demons" of the Past Era and at the same time were frightened by the technical strength of these "demons". They were technologically beyond anything witnessed in generations.

Skillfully using this fear and hatred, and at the same time guaranteeing the right to own property (including the right to own slaves and territories) and the right to freedom (including freedom from slavery for citizens of the Confederacy and broad internal powers of cities of the Confederacy), the charismatic and ambitious politician Bill Thomas succeeded in less than a year to unite 5 cities of survivors under the banners of the Confederate Cities of America.

By the year 132 A.R.:
• The city of Reno is the capital of the New Confederacy.
• Bill Thomas is the president of the New Confederacy.
• Eli Stone is the vice-president of the New Confederacy.
• The New Confederacy consists of 5 cities; The Reno Capitol is one and there are four others, but you’ll have to play the game to find out what cities made it through the Reset.
• The official currency is the Confederacy Dollar (barter is gradually being replaced in the cities of the Confederacy.)
• The United Governments do not recognize the existence of the New Confederacy and do not have any diplomatic relations with them.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:24 AM   #2
damienmondragon
-- co-founder --
  • Aug 2014
Response to After Reset (Part 1)
When I came across your project I was very inspired by the background video and the prospect of a post apocalypse Fallout style game that was not mired in following the footsteps of Mad Max, a game where most survivors were not content to live scavenging in a waste land doing next to nothing to salvage, preserve and rebuild up to what was lost.

I had argued for years how unrealistic it was to depict survivors not wanting better for their children and grand children. People would at least weave fabric for new clothing, cut lumber for new housing, restore generators and machine tools, they even had Mr. Handy bots capable of repairing each other and apparently other bots, why not construct and repair things?

Then I read about a rebel faction like the rebels of the revolution and Civil War and saw people in Gadsden militia 'Don't tread on me" TEA Party type t-shirts, and later an illustration with what looked like a partial confederate flag. In the mean time I am dreaming about a new game with the promise of adventure and accomplishment of the other fallouts that is more immersive and realistic, where maybe you can get a four or even six legged all terrain bot to carry your gear and loot, as well as that great looking cyber dog.

Next I read about the New Confederacy and slavery, fear and hatred of the United Governments, and adoption of “American traditions and Machiavellianism”. This sounds like every crude stereo type used to stigmatize, marginalize and discredit the TEA Party movement. Return to slavery, fear and hatred of government, linking adopting American traditions to Machiavelli’s text book “The Prince”. What is wrong with American traditions?

I am a 58 year old black man and one of the original founders of the Capital District TEA (Taxed Enough Already) Party, in the capital cities area of liberal New York State. We are not racists, yes most of us are conservative, and most of us are Constitutionalists and Christians.

Yes most of the TEA Party are white, very few strike me as racists, most are some of the finest people it has been my honor to trust as friends, and we are also civil rights activists exercising our civil right to peaceably assemble and petition our government for redress of grievances.

Grievances like government fiscal irresponsibility, trying to sell us on government single payer health care that the policy makers exempt themselves, their families, their staff and political supporter s from having to sign up for, while they keep the insurance policies they had but the rest of us are to be denied. They pushed back full implementation to after the 2014 elections and then pushed it back again until after 2016. Wouldn’t they implement ASAP if the reality of the program would help win them elections?

Fiscal irresponsibility like trying to balance a budget that spends more than it can take in, by borrowing and at interest rates we couldn’t afford on our best days. Loans our children and grand children won’t be able to keep up with, much less pay off in their lifetimes.

Of our thousands of gatherings across the country over the years, where we were ever anything but nonviolent, we don’t destroy, vandalize or even litter, we are known for leaving where we meet at least as neat and clean as we found it. We were often angry and confrontational, but we are also constituents paying elected officials to represent our interests, and trying to hold them accountable.

Myself I would like to see After Reset a contender for game of the year, the year it is released, I’d like to see it do so well you need to and can afford to have multiple teams working on it to have not only a new game out every other year if not every year, but an exceptionally good game every time.

Are you sure you are making a game the average American would feel comfortable recommending to people important to them, a game that these people might see as not only reflecting that gamer’s values, but a reflection of how that gamer sees their values?

A game that players not only enjoy, but feel good about sharing with others as a good reflection of who they are, and what they feel their friends would not only enjoy and agree with, but also feel good about sharing with their friends as representative of what they enjoy. That takes skill and talent to design and build.

How about characters you’d like to fight alongside because of their character and personality? Communities you would like to help because the NPCs are survivors fighting their way out of the wreckage with hard work, a sense of honor, dignity. Sacrifice against the odds for your family, friends and allies to benefit.

Ever go to a disaster site, something like the after math of a flood or tornado and help the people willing to work hard to recover with their own two hands if that’s all they’ve got, people who aren’t waiting for or depending on government , to deal with a real world disaster? A lot of these people without the fancy insurance are hard working blue collar, conservatives and Christians.

Try a TEA Party event and meet everyday people who never stood up and demonstrated in the street before the TEA Party, people who do so now not because they hate the sell out, go along to get along legislators in front of them, but because they love those who will be their heirs, behind them. Get a feel for a lot of good people you could easily come to like, respect and appreciate.

People, who accept responsibility for what THEY let happen on their watch to the birth rights and future they had been entrusted to protect, preserve and pass along to their heirs. Give us characters to bond with and do things to be proud of with, characters we would be proud to have as friends in the real world, and introduce to people we want to respect and appreciate us.

We inherited the family business and let our employees produce just enough to keep us happy; while we paid them, they stole us blind using our resources to do side jobs for themselves, because we were lax on supervising them. We need to be responsible and fix where we failed our families, and do it on our watch.

Please make a game that doesn’t insult and drive away the blue collar woodsman who knows and likes guns, someone who has the country boy skills and attitudes to survive an apocalypse, likely as not a veteran who loves his country. Someone who appreciates what can be achieved with hard work, team work, struggle, sacrifice and responsibility. Do you know people like that to model characters on? I believe more people are still attracted to games and stories that promote and respect these traditional values, than those extolling political correctness.

Much as I would like to and plan to try your game and I hope it succeeds, I can’t promote it to most of my social network friends, right now it sounds too much like Hollywood elitist bigotry towards conservative, hard working, blue collar American patriots and veterans.

Last edited by damienmondragon; 08-21-2014 at 03:39 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
Thank you for such detailed explanation, damienmondragon. I believe, we'll be able to disperse worries. We'd like to show in the game that in real life there is no black or white sides - there are only people; and they are not only black and white as well. Like in the Game of Thrones series - there are no "good or evil" houses in that game for power. Only events and characters count. I'd like to create so socially realistic fractions that you cold believe in any of them, adopt views of any of them, become patriot of any of them and put your brick into the foundation of any of them.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:24 PM   #4
damienmondragon
-- co-founder --
  • Aug 2014
Modern civil rigfhts activists
A lighter lift version of activists who exercise their civil right to peacefully assemble and petition their government for redress of grievances, and everyday people with the traditional TEA Party type values to do what they can with what they've got, when things go wrong and need to be righted.

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/08/1698...clean-streets/

To the tune of 75 out of 78 Ferguson rioters arrested not even being residents, and people coming to Missouri from New York, California, and Texas to be able to loot with little chance of arrest, you get a good and accurate idea how far and wide you have to go to assemble a not that impressive rent a mob, compared to those who like those in the TEA Party want to act like true civil rights activists, send a message and mobilize public sentiment for their side of an argument.

Last edited by damienmondragon; 08-21-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:25 PM   #5
damienmondragon
-- co-founder --
  • Aug 2014
Originally Posted by MrNixon View Post
Thank you for such detailed explanation, damienmondragon. I believe, we'll be able to disperse worries. We'd like to show in the game that in real life there is no black or white sides - there are only people; and they are not only black and white as well. Like in the Game of Thrones series - there are no "good or evil" houses in that game for power. Only events and characters count. I'd like to create so socially realistic fractions that you cold believe in any of them, adopt views of any of them, become patriot of any of them and put your brick into the foundation of any of them.
Thank you for your reply, I keep seeing evidence you have had more life experience than many developers trapped in promoting stale politically correct stereotypes.
Stephen King is still one of today's most successful author's and his depiction of working class rural Americans shows the sheltered elitists bigotries of one with very little real life experience working with blue collar people in real life, much less living life or death situations helping others and/or depending on each other to watching each other’s back.
Stephen King era inspired games are sheltered and simplistic and remind me or that 6 wheel APC in Mass Effect 1 that sounded and traveled like an electric RC toy and crossed terrain nobody who'd ever driven a real 4x4 could imagine a real vehicle doing, or the games involving high speed driving sequences, apparently designed by people who had never driven a real car, apparently for others too young to drive and compare realities.
I read you have active duty and civilian contractor experience in your back ground, like to see that reflected in a game with the potential of After Reset. Embarrassing to justify spending hours of your free time playing games apparently designed by sheltered children for other sheltered children, because it is still more entertaining than watching PC TV for the sheltered adult.
You can do to the trend to "social justice" themed gaming what; Walking Dead, Last Ship, Defiance type shows did to the shows based on Politically Correct Stephen King type apocalypse survivors. As gamers and sci-fi fans age there is a growing market for reality immersion that more fits the life experiences of those who have lived and survived life not sheltered.
It’s tough to craft a convincing story about life unsheltered if you haven’t lived it, especially if you are trying to write for those who have. Even those who have lived sheltered lives seem to favor the more realistic shows and games. Give us that breakout game a lot of Americans hunger for.

Last edited by damienmondragon; 08-23-2014 at 12:21 AM.