Old 08-30-2015, 07:19 PM   #1
Bidley
-- registered --
  • Feb 2015
Update
What is the status of this game? No news or update for months. I was really looking forward to this game but it's still barely a tech demo?

Give us a sign!
Old 08-30-2015, 11:36 PM   #2
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
Originally Posted by Bidley View Post
What is the status of this game? No news or update for months. I was really looking forward to this game but it's still barely a tech demo? Give us a sign!
Sorry for the delay and lack of updates on KS recently. Though the big patch is coming. There is list of our progress (has been updated weekly) and indication of 2 things to be made for the patch (Apparel/Inventory and Dialogue systems):
http://steamcommunity.com/app/335850/discussions/0/611703999964964217/
Old 08-31-2015, 09:50 AM   #3
Bidley
-- registered --
  • Feb 2015
Thanks for the reply, I wasn't aware of the Stream thread. Looking forward to it.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:23 AM   #4
Shade
-- co-founder --
  • Sep 2014
Progress Reports!
I totally get the fact that you guys are working hard on the next huge patch but I also
want to say that from a potential consumer perspective alone, progress reports and
insights go a long way to quell descent in between patches.

I've referenced Games Foundry before in discussions on your After Reset Steam forum and with very good reason because it's simply due to the fact that their unfaltering communication alone alleviated any doubt I had about their commitment to their game, even when they continued to receive so many trollish post ad nauseum to the contrary, the very fact they were active on their forum and willing to impart timely developer insight into their development helped so much.

GF is a small development team too, perhaps a bit bigger than your own not sure but all I'm trying to say is that communication is so important, even if you're only utilizing Steam right now for logistic reasons, for potential customers, it's HUGE. It's safe to say that just for perpetuating your brand, communication can never be over done. Its value is just enormous.

Last edited by Shade; 09-02-2015 at 04:24 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:24 AM   #5
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
I suppose, you're right, Shade. Considering moving dialogues system to the next patch after the coming one. Just to release it asap. Then after the release we'll try to keep monthly patches despite the amount of things are done.

About 87% of the prologue is done. We have all models, animations, dialogues, quests, vfx, most of the voicing and NPCs, audio, items, full gameplan, and full mechanics written. 95% of what is left is the programming to sew all those together.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:34 AM   #6
Shade
-- co-founder --
  • Sep 2014
That sounds awesome!

I didn't mean to give the impression that I thought you weren't working hard at your development, only just to convey how important communication is in KS and especially SEA development, from what I've observed. There will always be trolls on Steam but the best way to slowly build a loyal following there is to be available on its forums with timely progress reports, preferably an actual update but if not then at least with a post of what's currently going on behind the scenes as far as development goes. And even if only unplayable reports are the ones to be published, the wise and more discerning gamer will know the difference and recognize this even when the trolls crow at the same time because they will, it's just what they do. Can't be helped.

Games Foundry had a similar development in that they pretty much started at square one when they were released from Greenlight into SEA and I witnessed all the trollish fury for a few months while their game was on my wishlist, which I think was even worse than After Reset experienced because SEA was so virginal at the time, but the one thing that made me decide to buy in even before they had any truly playable content was because Simon, their project lead, was unfailingly available on the forum and he even took it a step further to answer nearly every thread, no matter how trollish. I know that's well beyond what most can do, I know that even for myself, there's no way I could be so unfailingly diplomatic no matter what because I find it really hard to resist verbally spanking trolls as it is so Simon, in my opinion, is the equivalent of a digital Saint, but he's English too, so that might have something to do with it right there, the infinite politeness that so many of them seem to have. ;)

But even so, once they had playable content they made sure to have updates each and every month, accompanied by twitch dev hangouts to display the next content that was intended for the next month. So now after witnessing all the crap GF went through the first two years on SEA, it really is satisfying to see all the resurfacing trolls completely shut down by the loyal fanbase GF has acquired over the past years because they fricken deserve it after how hard they've worked.

You are starting at a similar point in development but you also wisely chose to set your SEA price point above what the typical Steam gamer would buy without thought (Early Access warning labels seem to make no difference when an SEA game is priced cheaply), so you have the benefit of still having a positive review score while Games Foundry are still working through their 'Mixed' which is completely undeserved but that's just how it is, thanks to how Steam works. I do believe they will be able to pull out of their 'Mixed' but that's still up in the air and many think it's not possible. Time will tell, I guess.

You have a leg up in a sense, so being forthcoming with behind the scenes info would only be a benefit to you while you work on development. I'm not trying to say you need to do it just like GF because they went above and beyond, very likely due to the ridiculous mound of outdated negative reviews they are still finding themselves under today, even with the enormous amount of playable content they now have..

So at the very least, I hope my SEA observations will give you some food for thought. ;)
Old 09-04-2015, 05:38 PM   #7
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
Thanks, man :)

I've jut got "done" report for the Apparel/Inventory programming task. Thus, the only one big thing left for the patch to do - to rework loading screens mechanics. I'm not satisfied with loading arts/3d mechanics and storytelling there. So we're reworking them to Fallout 1&2 style. As well as the narrator's speech will go to in-game dialogues UI.