Old 04-01-2015, 02:20 PM   #1
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
Hard Sci-Fi Contest "FORCE FIELDS"

Guys, with the latest update and patch #033115 released, I would like to hold a small Hard Sci-Fi Contest, which will help you all feel closer to the incredible post-apocalyptical world of planet Earth after the Reset. Your participation in the Contest will also inspire us and give us new ideas.

The point of the contest:
Having ran around Gyes for a bit, you have already encountered something that visually looks like energy fields instead of doors (in patch 030315 you could easily walk through these but that was a mistake. We fixed that and now you need to turn them off at the control console in order to walk through them). Your task is to try and explain how they appear and operate, or rather explain the phenomenon that you see and its properties. Explain it from the point of view of theoretical physics, and the principles of hard science fiction.

Contest timeframe:
The contest is active until our next news-update is posted, which will be approximately in 2-3 weeks.

How to participate:
Feel free to post your theories right in the comments section on Kickstarter (if you are a backer). Or right here, on our official message board.

Participation restrictions:
Anyone can post their thoughts and theories under our message-board, but we will only consider the answers of our Kickstarter backers and/or users with Co-Founder status as part of the Contest.

Rewards:
Various digital add-ons that you don't yet have will be given out as rewards:
- The Fall of Gyes graphic novel;
- After Reset OST
- Wastelander Package;
- 5-4-1 add-on.

At the end I would like to add some clarifications and 'suitable' and 'unsuitable' examples. Let me remind you that hard science fiction is a category of science fiction characterized by an emphasis on scientific accuracy and technical detail. One requirement for hard sci-fi is procedural or intentional: a story should try to be accurate, logical, credible and rigorous in its use of current scientific and technical knowledge about which technology, phenomena, scenarios and situations are practically and/or theoretically possible. With that said, you don't have to give us formulas and specifics (though we do love that), because hard science fiction is still science fiction and its plot is usually built on one or several scientific assumptions or hypotheses. In sci-fi, the picture of the world as a whole is usually logical and not contradictory. In the world of After Reset, such an assumption is the possibility of the portable collectors and high-power energy sources for the United Government faction, whose level of technology is equal to 2150-2180 AD, according to the development of modern society under globalization.

For example, let's take the classical light-saber from "Star Wars" (my favorite space opera, although it’s not hard sci-fi). In the world of reality and hard science fiction, such a saber cannot exist due to physical properties of light and other constraints of our world. On the other hand, we could reproduce visual and some of the physical properties of such a saber. Theoretically, this is possible using today's technologies and all we need is to:

- Use plasma instead of light.
- Make the blade of the saber ceramic (the type and structure of which will depend on the type of plasma used).
- Install generators with strong electro-magnetic fields, which will keep the plasma in a form that flows around the blade, inside the blade and possibly inside the surrounding chamber.
- Build a heat insulation and cooling system into the blade.
- Build a hot plasma supply chamber into the guard.

Of course, the result is going to be bulky and not at all graceful. Plus, there's going to be a long train of cords/cooling agents/plasma power supplies extending from it. But we can create a light-saber right now, if we wanted to! Imagine someone from the 80's seeing our plasma stick at work, cutting metal and making all kinds of noise! They would definitely think that it was the real light-saber from Star Wars.

The hard science fiction technology concept approach (which I use when writing After Reset) takes into consideration all known factors, including: economy (how much will it cost to create such an object for a specific function considering current technologies and materials), socio-cultural (what is the role of this object in the culture of the given fraction), and the rational (how rational it is to have this object or technology compared to alternative options).

When the contest is over and we have chosen the winners, we will share our explanation for these "obstacles" (I'm not giving their name on purpose, as to not curb your fantasy). We will also share the best answers to the riddle. Our scientific consultants and all of the game development staff will play the role of judges :).
Old 04-02-2015, 08:33 AM   #2
ginkson
-- co-founder --
  • Sep 2014
How about IMPASS?
An Acronym, I know but no sci-fi would be complete without such a thing!

It stands for: Integrated Magnetic Pulse Access Security System.

Firstly, apologies for my sub-standard scientific knowledge, but here is the broad outline on what i think it is and how it work etc:

Essentially it is an extremely strong magnetic force contained between the two points (door posts in most instances) cycling polarity on an extremely fast basis. My theory is that it is essentially both sets of poles held very close to eachother in a fashion close to the writing of the text on this page in a linear format(imagine each line as a distinct magnetic stream if you will). This acts so as to repel any polarity of molecule that may approach it within a certain distance and that these are inverted on a thousandths of a second basis line by line. This in turn provides enough magnetic force to repel metallic objects such as robotics etc when in close proximity but is also strong enough to repel the iron and other trace metallic elements in our bloodstream thus impeding human access.

The shimmer effect is generated by small particles being caught after striking the field at a variety of angles and either ricocheting or being caught and accelerated to high velocity by the magnetic forces therein. Some of which approaching and presumably reaching light velocities and therefore emitting a portion of their energy as light giving the shimmer effect. The interesting side effect of this could be that the trapped and shimmering particles may be enough to block/impede laser based weaponry also acting as a light-light collider of sorts.

Given that I have never studied science in any way beyond secondary school, i think this idea has some potential. I guess i leave it open to the real scientists to shoot down in a ball of plasma-hot flames :)
Old 04-05-2015, 04:23 PM   #3
Edd
-- co-founder --
  • Oct 2013
Gauss Gates

A Gauss Gate is an impenetrable barrier created by generating closed Gaussian surfaces of energy around streams of charged particles.

All across the top, bottom, left side, and right side of the threshold is an array of gallium laser diodes and targets. These lasers all fire in a randomly selected order around the threshold at randomly selected targets opposite them (left side diodes fire at right side targets). As they fire, the light particles are accelerated and a cylindrical gaussian field is generated by the beam.

This creates a small amount of mass in the beam. A single beam by itself is unnoticeable except on the atomic level, but thousands of simultaneous beams all randomly woven together from different directions and at different frequencies multiplies the mass of Gauss Gate, creating a barrier, essentially of energy and light.

The shimmering blue effect of the Gate is due to the particles of light from the various beams interacting with each other.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #4
ginkson
-- co-founder --
  • Sep 2014
A little more to add....
Originally Posted by ginkson View Post
An Acronym, I know but no sci-fi would be complete without such a thing!

It stands for: Integrated Magnetic Pulse Access Security System.

Firstly, apologies for my sub-standard scientific knowledge, but here is the broad outline on what i think it is and how it work etc:

Essentially it is an extremely strong magnetic force contained between the two points (door posts in most instances) cycling polarity on an extremely fast basis. My theory is that it is essentially both sets of poles held very close to eachother in a fashion close to the writing of the text on this page in a linear format(imagine each line as a distinct magnetic stream if you will). This acts so as to repel any polarity of molecule that may approach it within a certain distance and that these are inverted on a thousandths of a second basis line by line. This in turn provides enough magnetic force to repel metallic objects such as robotics etc when in close proximity but is also strong enough to repel the iron and other trace metallic elements in our bloodstream thus impeding human access.

The shimmer effect is generated by small particles being caught after striking the field at a variety of angles and either ricocheting or being caught and accelerated to high velocity by the magnetic forces therein. Some of which approaching and presumably reaching light velocities and therefore emitting a portion of their energy as light giving the shimmer effect. The interesting side effect of this could be that the trapped and shimmering particles may be enough to block/impede laser based weaponry also acting as a light-light collider of sorts.

Given that I have never studied science in any way beyond secondary school, i think this idea has some potential. I guess i leave it open to the real scientists to shoot down in a ball of plasma-hot flames :)
I've read a little more on the subject and have a little more (mis)information to add to my earlier suggestion:

I think rather than "magnetic force" being the driver it be microwaves of specific wavelengths alternating in a linear direction between emitters and receivers on two points in an array surrounding the doorway/entry point. These would fire at specific distance intervals so as to induce plasma fields around each individual stream like a chain link. This would need to be "strong" enough to destablilise matter passing through the field (melting intruders? yes please!) and that the shimmer effect is in fact plasma generated via this agitation method in close proximity to the field but without sufficient energy to be drawn in to the main body of the field array. A side effect of the plasma field is that it can block photons of light from passing through, thus also inhibiting laser based weaponry also.

Oh and the acronym is now:
Integrated Magnetised Plasma Array Security System

Last edited by ginkson; 04-09-2015 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:17 PM   #5
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
Just writing to say we read and discuss all your suggestions, guys :) Keep it up.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:30 PM   #6
Ole
-- co-founder --
  • Nov 2014
Oh wow! The IMPASS suggestion is a very good one!

I was thinking more in terms of an Anti-Matter Emergency Forcefield, where the shimmer effect is caused by the matter and antimatter nullifying each other and creating light. Anything made from matter that come in contact with the field will be vaporized in a flash of intense light, though I'm not sure about laser weapons or other high energy beam weapons. As E=MC^2 tell us matter and energy are the same so that could mean that energy is as well nullified in contact with the anti-matter making it an impervious forcefield.

Was also thinking of the system regulating the antimatter-flow with strong electro-magnets creating a stable magnetic field so the antimatter won't just disperse into the room when exiting the emitter.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:53 PM   #7
Reaver
-- registered --
  • Dec 2014
I have two suggestions:

1. I looked a little bit into the Force Field issue and it turned out that there is a term called "Plasma window" in real life physics. Modern scientists can contain small amounts of plasma (which, as we all know, is extremely hot 4-th condition of matter; thousands of Kelvin) within a strong electro-magnetic field. At some point plasma becomes "thick" and is sought to be able to withstand physical objects and is reported to withstand pressure (at least several atmospheres). This technology is considered to be scalable, once there is enough power supplied.

Features:
+ Extremely hot, able to vaporize any biomaterial that tries to pass through it (including bunker personnel). This is not exactly the thing that we can observe in the current build though... the main character just bounces off this field without losing limbs (thankfully).
+ Can be used to hermetically seal some area/room (no gas/bacteria can pass through it).
+ Light can (in real life) pass through plasma without any significant issues. Actually this feature is found to be useful by modern physicists, since it allows them to use lasers to manipulate things that are shielded by plasma window. But think about it this way: laser weaponry is available to very few fractions according to the After Reset setting. In fact you might not be interested in blocking Lasers when everyone else is using blockable 20th century bullets. Place a squad of soldiers behind the barrier, absorb bullets/grenades/rockers with the plasma shield, fire back with lasers, Profit!
+ Indestructible. No matter how hard you try to destroy it, as long as there is enough power, you cannot succeed (unless you start using something nasty, like EMP generators ;)).

- Requires tremendous amount of power to sustain. What if the generators go down when the facility is sealed (or a power box responsible for some Force Field gets damaged)? Even if there are backup generators, they cannot provide enough power forever, besides you need to "absorb" (or remove) the plasma somehow when the power level is near 0, otherwise the shield will break and the plasma will break loose melting everything on its way (the good thing is that there is not really that much plasma in the shield and it will cool down relatively quickly).
- Does it require cooling? How do you store the gas which is later heated up to the plasma level? You cannot store heated plasma that easily (you need to sustain an electromagnetic field inside the container). How long does it take for the Force field to become operational (you still need to inject the plasma into the "shield" somehow and it would take some time)?
- What happens to this over 9 000 Kelvin gas-like substance if the field goes down? This gas (plasma is normally created from gas) will spread in the air within the facility and it will "warm up" at least couple of rooms and those who are not so lucky to be close to the "Plasma shield".

2. Ok, this one is kind of sloppy, but still... Alien artifact technology. The "Artifacts" or the "Crystals" are reported to have a field that "blocks" any attempts to study them. It is possible that some artifacts were studied no matter what in the U.G. secret facilities resulting in the development of Force field technology. Besides, we should remember the Dallas Incident during which one of the artifacts was destroyed. This event could not have happened in case there was no breakthrough in Force field studying, right?

There is another thing that can be somehow connected (albeit barely). The artifacts were told to appear unnoticed (which I assume can be treated as "appeared from nowhere"). The thing is that this might be possibly related to 5th dimension or multi-dimensions in general (in case we think we exist within 4-dimentions). Remember that cartoon about the 2-dimentional circle and 3-dimentional objects entering its realm of existence? The same thing might be true with the "Artifacts". The only difference is that they seem to appear from nowhere, but actually could be just entering our 4-dimentional realm from the 5-dimentional plane of existence. We all know that the so-called "Dark matter" and "Dark energy" should exist somewhere in the Universe to explain the gravitational effects that we can observe in the Deep space, though we cannot observe the "Dark matter" itself. In fact more than 90% of the Universe is sought to be composed of "Dark energy" add "Dark matter". Physicists should probably stop reading here, otherwise they might die out of laughter ;) So, maybe the Force field is actually created with the help of "Dark energy" that is channeled through artificially created inter-dimensional rift which existence was made possible by the breakthroughs made during the study of "Alien artifacts"?

Properties might vary... this is completely fictional theory.

Plus some interesting notes:
- In 2015 Boeing patented "Force fields" to protect its aircrafts from shock waves. No even closely working prototypes were demonstrated.
- NASA might develop technology to create an "Energy Shield" to protect its astronauts from cosmic rays/radiation.
- Some very interesting data can be found in the "Physics of the Impossible" by Michio Kaku.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:10 PM   #8
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
Thanks, guys for your help and ideas! Here below I'm reposting the footing from our resent update:

HARD SCI-FI CONTEST FOOTING:

In a previous update we announced a small, hard-sci-fi contest about "Force Field" technology: http://www.afterreset.com/forum/showthread.php?t=328

Well, only four guys participated, but we loved their work! They treated it really seriously, and we decided to reward each and every one of them. Yes, I announced that the rewards were intended for the Co-Founders participants only, but Reaver showed a great initiative and has been included in our rewards pool.

I want to thank everyone for your participation and theories. Ginkson, Edd, Ole, Reaver, please send me a PM through the After Reset official forum with the chosen reward you’d like to receive via Steam, from the following list:
- The Fall of Gyes graphic novel;
- After Reset OST
- Wastelander Package;
- 5-4-1 add-on.

The scientific background for the "Force Field" barriers at the Gyes bunker your character meets are related to nano-level (coming to the mass market soon) and pico-level (which should be available by the timeline in After Reset) materials. Such technology allowed the UG to manufacture self-organizing atomic materials much thinner and much more durable than modern ones like Graphene. The core of that barrier you see at Gyes is a pico-fiber of silicon/ferrum atoms combined into a spatially complex molecular framework. Such fiber operating sources are built into the barrier frame. The appearance and disappearance of such thin atomic fibers is a lot like the inverted actions of a gasoline blot on the surface of water.

As ginkson noticed, the fundamental Electromagnetic force (with photons as the force carriers) is the pillar that barrier mechanics is built on. Yes, the idea of IMPASS technology is also a great abbreviation, and we’ve decided to go with a small twist as: Integrated Magnetized Pico Array Security System.

Why not plasma? First off, it requires too much power to sustain an electromagnetic field for plasma. I mean, we can even do it now but it will be incompatible with a mere titanium based door/gate which doesn’t consume energy in a locked/unlocked state. The second, the plasma would really vaporize most organics on contact, and it would be really unsafe to set such dangerous technologies in state buildings. This is especially true for emergency exits.

Though it is possible to supply current at the silicon/ferrum, pico-fiber level (its conduction is extremely high), in general terms no one does that for emergency gate barriers.

Speaking of the transparency and safety, as Edd proposed, there are some emissions from the photons with a wavelength in the visible spectrum, which interacts with the fiber to emit some simmering effect of "merry dancers." This is just so that people do not nuzzle in those barriers. :)
Old 09-14-2015, 07:11 PM   #9
Talishan
-- registered --
  • Aug 2015
Don't care about contests, but I wanted to chip in on Reaver's Plasma window suggestion, which is dead on in terms of hard sci fi. The thing is, though, that the tech level is supposed to be quite a bit ahead of current tech and the only thing Reaver has suggested is that the energy generation technology has improved. There's no reason to think that cold plasma technology couldn't feasibly exist, using either undiscovered types of plasma or using advanced shaped magnetic fields or free energy manipulation to achieve higher viscosity in lower temperature plasmas. Alternatively a separate technology could be used to create resistance when trying to make contact with the plasma window. Boeing recently patented a technology which deflects shock waves impressively, for example, preventing a shockwave from a near miss grenade from reaching troops on the ground. This doesn't protect from a direct hit, but it shows how tech is advancing and how reasonable it is to have plasma windows or a combined technology that creates fields which repel without destroying.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:52 AM   #10
Maxedout
-- registered --
  • Jan 2017
Originally Posted by Talishan View Post
There's no reason to think that cold plasma technology couldn't feasibly exist, using either undiscovered types of plasma or using advanced shaped magnetic fields or free energy manipulation to achieve higher viscosity in lower temperature plasmas.
Well that's true but is it likely?