MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
http://www.afterreset.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269&page=3
Old 02-08-2015, 07:48 AM   #32
dtgfunk
-- registered --
  • Feb 2015
Hi, thanks for the build and letting us check things out, I just wanted to suggest changing the the flickering effect to be a little slower, gives me a headache lol, thanks again
Old 02-08-2015, 08:22 AM   #33
Doc Inventus
-- co-founder --
  • Aug 2014
Hi all, I have install the game yesterday and I cannot play steam makes me an unknow error.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:57 PM   #34
kreekgod
-- co-founder --
  • Aug 2014
so i just messed with the beta for the first time and i have made a few notes and suggestions

1) as everyone has said, that interface flicker is extreamly annoying, i do like the effect, but perhaps it shouldnt be in the main menu / character creation interface, id suggest saving it for reading computers in game that are somewhat old and/or damaged

2) in the introduction cinematic, there is one part where the narrator says something to the effect of "a nuclear chain reaction covered the whole surface of the world" this would be better worded as the "entire surface", this is not really important, and would require rerecording that line, but i found the wording to be a bit off feeling

3) i found character creation to be a little difficult, because i have no reference for what a reasonable value for any of the stats and skills should be, it wasnt so bad for the stats as i figured 10 is supposed to be your adverage middle of the road human, but have no real indication of the true importance of any of them, this is moreso with skills, there are a great deal of skills, but with all skills starting at 0, there is no indication of what might be considered average proficiency with them, is putting 10 in some skills okay, even though it means ill only have 2 or 3, or should i spread them out more, have 2 in a bunch of skills

4) there was nothing to tell me how many tagged skills i could have, except to just select tagged skills untill i couldnt any more (ended up being 2), an indicator for this would be nice

5) feats should really be added before skills, and you should limit the skills that actually show up in the list,by what you can actually use, as it is now, i can dump a load of skill points in, for example, field weapons, which are supposed to be rare, but then after playing for a while and finally acquiring one, find that its completely unusable, if i forgot to take the field weapon proficiency feat, further moving feats above skills would also allow you to adjust skills based on feats, before you even put points into them, which would give a better indication of what your starting skills will actually be, aswell as breaking up that line of zeros which i have no idea what to do with

6) it would be nice if there was a way to save your character profile, so that you dont have to recreate your character from scratch, every time you want to start a new game with essentially the same one, but with a few minor tweaks

other then those notes and suggestions, it looks good sofar, and i cant wait to see more

Last edited by kreekgod; 02-08-2015 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:36 AM   #35
jetcutter
-- co-founder --
  • Jul 2013
So...
So all I can do is create a character?
Old 02-09-2015, 05:14 PM   #36
Mark L
-- registered --
  • Oct 2014
I like the character creation process very much so far. It appears to allow for many different types of characters with a good variety of skills and expertise. I only have a few minor quibbles.

Some of the feats seem to end up with more negatives than positives, which would mean very few players would choose them. For example, 'Handyman' gets +2 to some skills but -3 to others. I would suggest that, since the number of feats one can choose is fairly limited, and they are (in my understanding) supposed to bestow a (mild) benefit, you could just turn those numbers around: +3 to some skills and -2 to others. This would still be pretty well balanced and would not unbalance the game, but would provide a minor perk and thus a reason to choose it.

Similarly, 'Slender shape' gives +1 to Agility but -3 to Strength, which is a pretty severe handicap for a rather minor boost. I would suggest, for example, +2 to Agility and -1 or -2 to Strength. This would not be unbalancing to the game, but would provide a minor boost to players wanting to run an agility-based character. Most of the other types of feats seem well-balanced, e.g., 'early bird' has +3 during daytime and -3 during night, which makes sense.

On an unrelated note, I would like to mention that I really appreciate the separate sliders for volume for speech, sound fx, music, etc. I really appreciate the ability to adjust different types of sounds instead of just one 'sound level' slider.

Keep up the good work - so far the game appears to have lots of potential.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #37
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
Some of the feats seem to end up with more negatives than positives, which would mean very few players would choose them. For example, 'Handyman' gets +2 to some skills but -3 to others. I would suggest that, since the number of feats one can choose is fairly limited, and they are (in my understanding) supposed to bestow a (mild) benefit, you could just turn those numbers around: +3 to some skills and -2 to others. This would still be pretty well balanced and would not unbalance the game, but would provide a minor perk and thus a reason to choose it.

Similarly, 'Slender shape' gives +1 to Agility but -3 to Strength, which is a pretty severe handicap for a rather minor boost. I would suggest, for example, +2 to Agility and -1 or -2 to Strength. This would not be unbalancing to the game, but would provide a minor boost to players wanting to run an agility-based character. Most of the other types of feats seem well-balanced, e.g., 'early bird' has +3 during daytime and -3 during night, which makes sense.

Keep up the good work - so far the game appears to have lots of potential.
Thanks, Mark. Those type of feats (Background feats) must be such extreme. Those are the only type of feats that can be picked during the character creation only. Aside from other types of feats they have negative side effects. But they could be part of awesome specific builds that neglect their negative sides during the character leveling. Beyond that, now you can see only a tiny percentage of feats from the game mechanics. We'll add much more of them with time.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:49 AM   #38
figment
-- registered --
  • Feb 2015
Love the production quality so far. The dna helix is a great effect. It gives a very AAA game vibe.

Agree the skill tagging was not obvious. Flicker was cool but annoying. Keep it in the background or on initial screen swap or something. On the Feat screen, please don't scroll to the top if you don't have to after picking first feat.

Field Aid and Doctor probably don't need to be separate in the end (I recognize they are passive and active skills in this game). I guess balance is key and try not to have too many skills that end up not really being used in the game as per the fallout and wasteland games which had lot of that.

Would love some fallout boy type art with the feats but I guess that doesn't fit with the serious tone but the art livened up the interface a little in those games and made char creation more fun.

Scorpion Blood has a typo "Fist Aid" instead of "First Aid". Huckster has typo in "Lockpic"
Old 02-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #39
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
Originally Posted by figment View Post
Scorpion Blood has a typo "Fist Aid" instead of "First Aid". Huckster has typo in "Lockpic"
Thanks for the sharp eye. We'll fix that in the next patch.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:42 PM   #40
Fox Cunning
-- registered --
  • Aug 2014
I like the character creation process.
The interface is also very clean and intuitive - except for the "tag skills issue" which has already been mentioned.

My only remark would be that I don't particularly like choosing an alignment D&D-style. I would rather have the game determine my alignment based on my actions, instead of forcing me to act according to a static alignment.

Other than that, great stuff!