Old 12-06-2014, 02:54 PM   #11
Kyrer
-- co-founder --
  • Sep 2014
Everything looks pretty great to me. The UI is fast, responsive, and quite intuitive. It also looks very pretty. Some more points:

1. The small grey font is definitely too difficult to read on my laptop, which is 1366x768. It should be both larger, and brighter IMO.

2. The shimmer effect looks cool, but is maybe slightly too strong an effect? Perhaps it could be toned down a little, or not last so long.

3. I would have liked a separate volume control for the UI noises. I found the electronic effect a little irritating after a while, and would have liked to turn it down a little.

4. Going back and altering a section of the character creation resets everything that comes afterwards. This might feel a little frustrating if you just went back just to tweak something; it should maybe at least warn you.

5. The background screen needs some validation. It allowed me to enter my first and second name as simply a white-space character, and accepted my age as -9999.

6. Reducing height should maybe reduce weight? Plus I found height in inches to be a little odd as feet and inches is more usual for us in the UK (this was hardly a big deal though).

7. The "points remained" value on the skills screen did confuse me for a moment. At first, I didn't realise that the values in both boxes decreased when you spent a point. However, I quickly spotted what was happening, so this was probably just me being dim.

Looking really good though, keep up the great work! I can't wait to get my hands on something playable!
Old 12-08-2014, 02:54 AM   #12
Binakot
-- co-founder --
  • Jul 2013
Originally Posted by Kyrer View Post
2. The shimmer effect looks cool, but is maybe slightly too strong an effect? Perhaps it could be toned down a little, or not last so long.
Thanks. We'll fix that in coming patch.

3. I would have liked a separate volume control for the UI noises. I found the electronic effect a little irritating after a while, and would have liked to turn it down a little.
And that issue too.

5. The background screen needs some validation. It allowed me to enter my first and second name as simply a white-space character, and accepted my age as -9999.
You are right. Really thanks. We will make the First Name field validation. The Second Name field can be empty because of role-playing reasons. The age field will be fixed as well so that it will be equal zero and above only.

Thank you for your review, Kyrer. We really appreciate that.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #13
jmarsh07
-- co-founder --
  • Dec 2013
So far looks good, just a little hard to read on small screen ( + I am almost 60 now, LOL).
When is anything playable going to be ready?
Just sitting here waiting.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:32 AM   #14
aberrant99
-- co-founder --
  • Dec 2013
game play?
just got access to steam so far so good. just a quick question after doing character gen i can't play is this just character gen only alpha or is something broke. i could not find a answer about it.

the feats are pretty useless while you get bonus you get penalties to balance them out so it is net zero.
i always thought feats as cool ability that help character not penalize them. out side of proficiency. why would you take them as they cripple characters one way.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #15
Binakot
-- co-founder --
  • Jul 2013
Originally Posted by aberrant99 View Post
after doing character gen i can't play is this just character gen only alpha or is something broke.
Yes, in this build you can only create the character. And thank you for the lead: we'll add "that's it for now" screen to the next build of the game.

Originally Posted by aberrant99 View Post
why would you take them as they cripple characters one way.
For now we've added only the Background feats. They are only the feats that cripple with the ultimate features addition. Beyond them there will be more than 100 generic feats added. Generic fits are usually give benefits only. Though, they are less powerful.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #16
aberrant99
-- co-founder --
  • Dec 2013
Thanks that make more sense.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #17
jvmlok
-- co-founder --
  • Dec 2013
1. I agree that the distorsion effect is a bit annoying. Cool but annoying when you are trying to decipher longer text.
2. I would also raise my hand for bigger font
3. Both for Attributes and Skills section...as it looks like there is no interval (Attribute 1..10) one can hardly judge what value is suitable for his character. So, for both Attributes and skills I would suggest to add some kind of description, that would give player some measure. For attributes you have something like that, it would be nice to have more than just one word comment. For skills I would recommend something like: Rookie/experienced user/Specops etc.
4) For attributes it would be nice to have "Random Roll button", but thats just an idea.
5) If there is a description how calculations for sucess/hit are made for specific skills, it would help a lot with all above...
Old 12-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #18
Amerisun
-- registered --
  • Dec 2013
First I want to say how much I really like the clean UI and how fast and responsive it is! On with some constructive criticism on it:

1. I really enjoy the distortion effect on everything but areas I have to read. :-) Then it annoys the hell out of me about 2 sentences in.

2. More about reading text, the fonts are a little too light / small for comfortable reading. I have a 32 inch 1080p wide screen monitor and even with a decent sized monitor it's not easy to read. I then tried it on one of my alienware laptops and it was even more difficult.

3. The part where you had to pick two skills to be your pinned ones was not readily apparent and I clicked back and forth a few times wondering why it wouldn't let me past that area. Then I realized I needed to put something over to the left and fill it out to be able to proceed. Maybe if someone fills in all their skill points (like I did) and didn't push the two skills to the left, you could have them click proceed and then pop up something and say (You didn't pick two pinned skills, please do that before moving on).

Ideas to push it further:

1. For attributes, I like the concept of jvmlok's idea was about random rolls, but as a separate idea you could have like 4 presets you can click and choose / auto fill them out. Bruiser, Marskman, Geeky Type and Jack of all Trades? So you could auto fill it out with a those types of skills for those kinds of archetypes? Just an idea.

2. Would be nice if after you create a character, you could save it out as XML or JSon or something equally easy to edit, so when the game is ready we could just import that and work with it, perhaps this is something you could add much later on (once you have a more fleshed out system / closer to release), but wanted to throw that idea out there. With this people could share, edit it in a text editor, and should be easy to validate / version control in the application itself and share builds between each other.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:03 PM   #19
The Traveller
-- co-founder --
  • Dec 2013
Originally Posted by Woiq View Post
I completely agree with Reaver, but I would also suggest a larger letter font. The letter size makes the lengthy descriptions a bit difficult to read.
At this time I cannot do much other than agree with Reaver's post and Woiq's as well -- larger font would help.

One thing, though -- why do I have to pick two more feats? Many of them give good bonus but also penalty, and I suppose I could pick armour or weapon even if I may not ever use those. Either allow me to choose nothing and gain nothing by doing so, or give me a couple of more points towards stats or such. That is my reaction any way.

An idea about the flickering (which is cool but gets frustrating) -- and I no idea how easy or hard it would be to do -- would be to limit it to the background (i.e., affect the DNA (?) background instead of the area with the text and the image of your character).
Old 12-23-2014, 03:28 AM   #20
altman
-- co-founder --
  • Mar 2014
Intro vid - Excellent

Flicker - I like what it adds to the atmosphere, but I hate what it takes away from the usability. Maybe if there were a background image behind the text et al., that could flicker instead of the text that I'm trying to read. OR just flicker the borders.

Character Creation - I went with "Create New Character". The first paragraph was straight to the point. The second paragraph ("Character creation is typically...") didn't sit well with me: If I didn't already know what it was telling me, I would easily pick it up by going through the process or just looking at the list in the center column. Even the third paragraph had shades of this. So it just seemed like verbiage for the sake of verbiage. Part of it may be that you have gone with a clinical tone rather than a familiar one. For example, reference is made to "the player", not "you". In a table top games where there's a player and a game master, it makes sense to discuss the distinction, but not when its just me playing the game.

I am intrigued by the idea of playing a non-human in multiplayer. The first question that comes to mind is whether or not at least one person in the group would need to be human.

I like that race is used as a subtype for species. Too many games treat race as species.

Pastagers - Paragraph 1, "... that have been seen on..." should probably be "...that have not been seen on ..."

Deviant - I would suggest reworking the first paragraph so it instantly tells us what deviants are. Pastager and Survivor both do this. It wasn't until the end that I got the impression that deviants are mutants.

Natives - Paragraph 1, "...by technically superior..." should probably be "... by technologically superior..."

Female - Paragraph 1, "...are pretty the..." should probably be "...are pretty much the..."

Alignment - I would change the first sentence to just "Alignment reflects the ethical and moral values of the character." There isn't a need to reference TT systems / rolling dice.

Skills - under Using Skills it says "The check works just like an attack roll or a saving throw". Given there are obvious weapon skills (e.g. Melee Weapons), why are attack rolls even considered a separate thing?

It may be good to put some limit on starting skill levels. It strikes me that having level 24 Firearms at the start is a bit much. A starting skill level limit would also encourage the player to diversify their character.

It would be nice if the skill list was alphabetical =)

Feats - it may be good to place these right after attributes in the character creation process so that the player could more easily rewind their character to make adjustments. Another reason to place feats earlier is that some feats, namely Gifted, adjust attributes, which can then impact the skill points you might have at the start. It would also be cool to see feats that couldn't be selected so that you could read them and see what their requirements are. Just gray them out like the various species and races.

Some of the terminology left me scratching my head. It is quite possible that I missed the definitions as I simply started skimming, rather than giving a thorough reading, but they seemed out of place or just odd. For instance, under "Mountain of Muscle" it says "Character gains a +2 to primary Strength, but suffer a -1 penalty to Attack Quantity." What is "primary Strength"? Why not just say Strength? Also what is "Attack Quantity"? I would guess it is "to hit", and, if so, why not just say that?

On the whole I like things so far. The character creation reminds me of 3rd ed D&D and Never Winter Nights (which is based on 3rd ed). Where I never latched onto that edition, I'm not against using it as a template.

Aside from the flicker, I definitely liked the presentation of text. I found it easy enough to intuit what I needed to click to do whatever I needed.

My number one suggestion at this point, other than finish so people can play the end product ;), would be to change the tone of voice used in the text. If there's an equation or something important, use bullet points. As mentioned earlier, right now its very clinical, and this can be a barrier to folks. It would go a long way if you can soften the tone, make it more familiar or conversational. If I wasn't already familiar with games in general and D&D in specific, I would have been lost amongst all the text.