Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #1
kennethsw's Avatar
kennethsw
-- co-founder --
  • Aug 2014
  • 13
Rule Based Realtime?
I am curious as to exactly how real time combat will be controlled. Will it be pauseable at any time to enter commands? Can you set autopause conditions for example like Neverwinter 2 pause when hit,sight a new enemy etc.
Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
MrNixon's Avatar
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
  • 579
Originally Posted by kennethsw View Post
I am curious as to exactly how real time combat will be controlled. Will it be pauseable at any time to enter commands? Can you set autopause conditions for example like Neverwinter 2 pause when hit,sight a new enemy etc.
Yes, NWN is the perfect example of Rule-Based-Realtime system. Like there, in After Reset RPG you'll be able to pause the game anytime to think, evaluate the situation and make some orders to your character. I don't remember autopause options in NWN but I suppose we'll add them into our game. Thanks for the tip, kennethsw.
Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:25 AM   #3
ABC Warrior's Avatar
ABC Warrior
-- co-founder --
  • Aug 2014
  • 21
Pause based real time comabt?
Hi there. Keep up the great work as things look very promising but I have been watching another RPG recently and I am worried After Reset might turn out the same way. The game is Pillars of Eternity which although it looks like a great game the combat system looks frustrating and not a lot of fun due to the speed that combat takes place. From what I have seen the only way to survive in combat is to use the pause function and then issue commands and then then let them execute and then rapidly pause again and the issue more commands which really isn't great.

Can you please tell me if After Reset will function along the same lines? There have been several other recently released RPGs such as Wasteland 2 and Divinity and even Shadowrun (both games) that have used turn based combat to greater effect and playability. I am a hardcore fan of After Reset and I am awaiting the Steam release with baited breath but it would be great to know how things will pan out combat wise as it is a major part of the game. Also how soon will the Steam release take place and if it is the Beta what happened to the Alpha or did I miss it somehow?
Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
MrNixon's Avatar
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
  • 579
Originally Posted by ABC Warrior View Post
...I am worried After Reset might turn out the same way. The game is Pillars of Eternity which although it looks like a great game the combat system looks frustrating and not a lot of fun due to the speed that combat takes place. From what I have seen the only way to survive in combat is to use the pause function and then issue commands and then then let them execute and then rapidly pause again and the issue more commands which really isn't great. Can you please tell me if After Reset will function along the same lines?
As you might know, for the combat you expect something like Neverwinter Nights. I used to play a lot on Role-Playing Persistent Words (the tactical pause is off and doesn't work on PWs) and I met no issues with that. Thus I can expect no problems with that in After Reset.

Beyond that, PoE play-through displays a lot of companion in squad. As opposed to that, in AR it is more like sole style from classic Fallouts 1&2 with several of teammates only.


Originally Posted by ABC Warrior View Post
Also how soon will the Steam release take place and if it is the Beta what happened to the Alpha or did I miss it somehow?
Frankly, we're ready to spread the character creation beta build. We've understood SteamWorkshop documentation already. We're just waiting for Steam validate our tax information to proceed. Anyway, if there is no answer from them this week, then we'll put the build on our server to share with our fellow backers like you :)
Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:48 AM   #5
ABC Warrior's Avatar
ABC Warrior
-- co-founder --
  • Aug 2014
  • 21
Thank you for the quick response MrNixon. My fears are laid to rest and I look forward to seeing the Beta build soon. Your game is truly something I am looking forward to playing as I firmly believe this will be my game of the year 2015(ish). I am also of the firm opinion that with you at the helm and also being a long time tabletop DM/GM this game should offer a much better story arc and level of detail than other "mass produced" games out there and the coding/graphics detail looks to be excellent.

Now once I have seen the initial Beta and liked it (as I am sure I will!) all I need is a way to donate more money for tangible rewards (you did mention this in a previous reply) as I am sure other backers would like. I really hope to see your project fulfill all our and your own hopes and dreams and you are doing so well on what is quite a low amount of capital from the last Kickstarter campaign. I just hope Steam early access greatly increases the financial input for you so you can steam ahead with development (oh dear a pun!). Sorry I know this is probably the wrong place to post this bit as I've gone off topic again..
Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:21 PM   #6
MrNixon's Avatar
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
  • 579
Much obliged, ABC Warrior :)
Quote
Reply

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools
Display Modes