Old 08-26-2015, 04:18 PM   #21
Talishan
-- registered --
  • Aug 2015
Oh, side note, a depleted uranium or nuclear waste storage site could become a far more dangerous redzone than a natural deposit, since it has much more concentrated uranium... the 235 has already been leached out, but the 238 isotope could lose neutrons in the same way that I mentioned, or simply be split.. I mean we're talking about an atom with a nucleus many times larger than iron and not entirely stable to begin with, so the chances of getting hit by radiation particles or stray protons is much higher. Even if only a small percentage of the 238 got split in this way it would release an enormous amount of concentrated radiation thanks to the sheer amount of it that they store.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:25 PM   #22
Talishan
-- registered --
  • Aug 2015
From what I can see online there might be enough nuclear waste sites to make those the redzones, the USA isn't a hotbed for natural deposits anyway (Australia is #1). Fernald, Ohio for example apparently has over 31 million pounds of nuclear waste. You can find all kinds of maps online that list the sites, but I'm not sure how reliable these are. The exact amount of the waste might be exaggerated as well, I can't readily find a reliable source of information for it. The more I think about it, the more I think the waste sites are the better option... some of that waste is already highly radioactive by itself, and all it would take is the rupture of the storage containers to create a very true redzone! And the storage cases would help keep it from dispersing quickly... I have no idea off the top of my head how long such a radioactive zone would last, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think it could last hundreds of years.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:48 PM   #23
Talishan
-- registered --
  • Aug 2015
Just a random article I found online, I haven't verified anything as I just read it and I'm in the middle of vacation, but it might prove of interest.

http://www.iflscience.com/environmen...reactor-africa