Old 02-12-2014, 05:40 AM   #51
Okarix
-- co-founder --
  • Jan 2014
Can you make a post that focus thoroughly on explaining the "maturality" and "realism" aspects of AR setting so that us backers can discuss and give more ideas to it? Since just like MrBtongue point out in his video, many people nowadays misunderstand "maturality" and "realism" as "blood and tits", and don't make me talk about those Heroic mainstream,generic plot theme.

In addition to that, will we be able to have something like a vision document sometimes down the line? If possible of course! I definitely would love to read it!

You are doing a great job! I love being here with everyone! It is the shame that i can only manage to contribute that much. Please keep up the good work!:)

Last edited by Okarix; 02-12-2014 at 05:52 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #52
Okarix
-- co-founder --
  • Jan 2014
What do you think of it? On my part, I agree with everything he said including the crowd-sourcing part. It opened my eyes, sorry for behaving like such a wimpy demanding *ss all the times without really contributing anything worthwhile. Please know that your vision about the game is great and as long as you stick to it, my money has been used wisely!

Last edited by Okarix; 02-13-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:32 PM   #53
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
Originally Posted by Okarix View Post
Can you make a post that focus thoroughly on explaining the "maturality" and "realism" aspects of AR setting so that us backers can discuss and give more ideas to it?
Sure, with time.

Since just like MrBtongue point out in his video, many people nowadays misunderstand "maturality" and "realism" as "blood and tits", and don't make me talk about those Heroic mainstream,generic plot theme.
I share the vision of Mr.Btongue. The realism is not in "blood and tits" but in such questions like: What do they eat? Where do they got their supplies? What do they live for? How do they survive? Etc.

In addition to that, will we be able to have something like a vision document sometimes down the line? If possible of course!
Nope. No spoilers :)

You are doing a great job! I love being here with everyone! It is the shame that i can only manage to contribute that much. Please keep up the good work!:)
Thank you man. Every man like every bullet counts!
Old 02-25-2014, 07:47 PM   #54
Praxe
-- registered --
  • Feb 2014
Loads of Questions - Prepare to battle.
Well, Hey! Sup?

I've read all the questions here & its nice that they all get answered that quick!

So, lets get this party started, whoohaa.

Firstly, It's a Desert* the game is taking place at or am I wrong? Well. Maybe not a real Desert like we know it now-a-days (For example the Sahara) but a rather bad vegetated place, right? In the Gameplay*² there was - alot - of vegetation though. What I wanted to ask is: Is it everywhere like that? And if the Answer is "Yes". Could you explain why? Because if I look at kind-of Deserts there (obviously) is some vegetation. But not as much as there was in the video. Compared to the body of the male there was alot vegetation.

2. How will talking work? You stated in an earlier post that its Kinda F1 and Baldurs Gate(-?). Which is cool enough. But will you be able to offend people and what would be the reaction?
Lets say I'm a lone wanderer and hate everybody around me. Get mad about the clothes of other people and love it to insult people. Cause, you know - I'm an asshole. And I go to a place and talk with someone (more to that @ 3.) and I (if Possible) call him an asshole out of nowhere. Say that his place is a piece of junk and He should be ashamed that he even lives because of his ugly face (Oh yea baby! I still remember this from Fallout - well, kinda.). What will the consequence be? He obviously get mad - if he has a lot of humor may not, but most likely - Will he shot me? Attempt to start a fight? It'd be interesting to see what consequences things like that'd have.

3. Well, what about talking with People? I've found it ridiculous that almost - Everybody - in Fallout trusts you as a little child a man with a lollypop. Like, you know, you cant be a raider who wants to kill everybody.
What will you do about that? Will there be some people that "First shoot, then ask." or will there be no real realism in that one? I mean, If I'd (most likely most of us) live in such a ruthless world. I wouldnt trust everybody that walks along. I mean, fine. If He puts his gun down and steps slowly forward to me. It's all fine. But if He speaks to my back and touch me with his slender hands - while I'm looking in the other direction. I'd be scared as f**k - hell, I'd shoot him.

4. What about resources? Thats an important one I guess. As a matter of fact - in a post apocalyptic desert-like world. You cant just walk to the next walmart and get the stuff you need. So, of course - There will be trading with other Survivors (Hopefully). Some people may start little shops to sell their goods. But how will you get your resources besides that? I guess, it's kinda ridiculous to make it Fallout-like. I mean, on a highway where (They dont actually, but obviously would.) People examine every building for Resources. Why is there so much stuff around? Wouldnt other People take the gun that is placed in a closet?

5. As stated in the Backstory - You are a citizen of a Vault who wents out to do things like get a mutant hottie to do some nasty things. But what will happen when you get out of such an environment? When you are your whole life in an cave and never see UV light made by the Sun (more to the World & Sun at 6.)? You get pale. Your eyes get used to the fake-light and thats it. Try to look into real sunlight after that - your eyes would'nt take it long, really. Neither would your skin. Two questions on this one.
5.1: What will we get when we move out of the Vault for the First time? As you walk around without goggles (You'd wear Blackout Goggles for that matter, I guess.).
5.2 Will the skin get tanned when we walk around (You walk around in a T-shirt in the gameplay video.)? And if "Yes" will there be something like Sun protecting Cream? That'd add alot of searching If you dont wear full-body suits.

6. As it says in the Background video - all Nuclear Bombs on the world Explode. Which is - obviously - bad for the Earth's Economic System. The Earth's protection against Sun's UV-light is almost 0. (If the Earth'd even survive something like that. But lets assume it would. Cause you know, its the Earth.) How can that amount of water, we see on the map. (And as you said - its Waaaaa[add 500x "a" here]aay bigger than the picture) be there? I mean, even if we say that it just happend a week before we went outside - It'd go down rapidly. So, The Earth'd most likely look like the Mars looks now. I think, I got nothing more to add on that matter. Seems pretty strange to me - personally. (Yea, even fallout was strange on that matter. But it never really tried to be - "Realistic, you ghoul." You Ghoul sounds like You cool. But well-.. Offtopic.)

7. Special Weapons And Tactics - and Armors. SWATAP.
Whats about All the different Weapons and Armors? As it is a sci-fi game. Everything'd have a extra protection for its extra protection. But as the world goes on - and bad things, too. We got electricity and everything is - you know - modern. With that extra piece of technology in it - I'd wouldnt survive a real Nuke. As we know - Nuclear bombs take little EMP's with them. Which burns all of our technology to the Geek-heaven. We could say that it has an extra-protection in it. (We could say that on everything, cuz sci-fi and modern world.) But would it take such an impact without any problems - I guess not. Neither would the armors, I guess. So I'd be nice if you'd have to restore all of everything to fix one little item so you can shoot more enemies, more easy with way less trouble.
7.1 Crafting: It'd be interesting to see how crafting works. If you wont add crafting - shame on you! We all know that even you love crafting! Even if you think you dont, you do deep inside your heart. (<3)
7.2 Weapons: Will there actually be over-powered weapons? What about finding Weapons? As I stated before, It'd be cool if you can find some guns at some places. But Not too many. I hate to be overpacked just because you find a gun every metre you walk.
7.3 Armors: Will there be over-the-top armors? With all that blink-blink and funky-punky? Hopefully not. And please, for gods sake, make Armors hard to find. Not that you find a super-duper Armor right in the Desert.

8. Brum Brum, Cars and all that.
What about Vehicles? I personally think it ruins the fun of exploration. Cause you miss alot of things if you drive with 120KM/H over the wasteland. And cars make a big map feel hella small. Take Fallout as an example. Small map, much walking - seems big (except on the map, damn you map!)[well. point 10's gonna be the map.]. Travel Markers ruin alot, too.[yey, thats our 9.] So what is your opinion about Vehicles? (Has to be really detailed then, tho. Because after such an Boom you wouldnt be able to find your loved Toyota Prius in the best shape. There'd be alot of melt-down and much work to get this to work (Quests maybe? Long quests. Very-Very Hard and long quests.). It'd be nice to know the age of the World to get to know how F***ed up the Vehicle'd be.

9. Travel Markers, Good or Bad Friend?
The Problem I see in Travel Markers is - Once you get there, You never try to get there on foot again. Hell, why spend another hour to walk there if you can just spawn your ass there?
The good side is that some people are just lazy and dont have that much time. Which'd help them - obviously. That's a tricky question. Whats your opinion?

10. Maps.
How will the Map (If there is one) or Maps (Need to collect several maps for different parts of places.) work? I think, Map's should work realistic. Who owns a perfect map of a place after a nuclear fallout? Nobody, I guess. Fallout is using their Pip-Boy (Which'd only work with satellites, but whatever.) which had a new map of the world. But how will After Reset handle that out? No Maps? Hand-painted (that'd be great.). Super Detailed Wasteland maps? (Least realistic ones, I guess.)

11. Towns, Villages, Houses, Shelters.
11.1 Towns: Will there be any Towns? I mean, a place where many People live together and trade things so they can better protect themselves against the problems of outlanders and outlaws.
11.2 Villages: Like towns, just smaller. Be there any, my dear yedi master?
11.3 Houses: Do you have any plans on making it possible to build Houses or buy any from other People? Maybe build one from the trash you find around the Wasteland? As I've seen there are many Abandoned Trucks around the Map. You could use them as Little Houses or Shelters (11.4).
11.4 Shelters: I think, It'd a must to have at least some Shelters around the Wasteland. To hide your stuff. Let it get stolen. Hide it again and then go back to your first place to see that it got stolen. You know, Wasteland things. You'd need to sleep, too. And in such an unforgiving Wasteland its not a good Idea to hide in the bushes or sleep on a big rock, right?

12. RPG - With good Lez.
So, a thing thats important to me is a Hardcore mode. Bigger, Stronger, Harder, Sleepier, Drunker.
Will there be any? I know that some People dont want to care about food, water and sleeping. Cause, you know, its a Game. It'd be nice to make the Food and Drink thing optional. Or at least add it and hide it very very good.

13. Drugs
Simple and Short - for me. Will there be Drugs? If Yes - will the effects be realistic or Game-realistic? (You know, just a shader or effect on the screen and thats it.)

14. Groups, Governments and People
I myself am a Libertarian. If you know what that means, good. If not - in short - I dont like Governments or well, forcing people to things. So, my question is, as there are the United Governments with their nice bunkers. There obviously would be remnants of Anarchists and Liberterians. So, once the People leave the Bunker - they could form their own little village or Town and live the Free Dream - with some mutants. My question is, how will you handle the views and opinions of People on, you - the United Governments and other NPC's? I think, that's an important factor in such a Game. Because if People are like those in Skyrim, that give you quests and forget about you a day later - its just ridiculous. It'd be nice to be able to form your own group with your own views and laws and whatever. Make your own Village - but that'd be too much work, I guess. What do you think about all that?

15. Translations - for good.
Will there be Translations into other Languages? If no, that'd be sad. You dont even need to add Translated Voices - Works for R* Games, too. So just put subtitles in and its all good. If you need a Translator with much free time (knowns as Broken leg -initis) Consider Asking me. [Native Language: German. Born in Poland & can speak, write & read it properly.]

Well, that's it. I hope you enjoyed reading it - if you did. I know its alot what I've written. So, It's all just questions and some of my thoughts about it. Nobody except the Dev's need to read it, really. Even they wouldnt need. Well-.. Whatever.

By the way, I'm really interested in the outcome of this. Seems very well. Seems Sexy- rawr.
I'd help you - if needed. In anything that I can. So most likely - just a few things.
Whoever wants to contact me:
Steam: Praxeless

I'm allready thanking for the answers. Hopefully not as much as I've written. (huehuehue.)

Yours Faithfully,
Praxe.

Last edited by Praxe; 02-25-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:13 AM   #55
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
Originally Posted by Praxe View Post
Firstly, It's a Desert* the game is taking place at or am I wrong?
Mostly, yes. Here, check those links: The region of the game, The Great Desert, The State of Eagle.

Well. Maybe not a real Desert like we know it now-a-days (For example the Sahara) but a rather bad vegetated place, right? In the Gameplay*² there was - alot - of vegetation though. What I wanted to ask is: Is it everywhere like that?
No. It's massively over vegetated our tech demo. Such level of trees/grass is more common for The State of Eagle due to water sources availability. But not everywhere.

How will talking work? You stated in an earlier post that its Kinda F1 and Baldurs Gate(-?).
Yes. Plus timer for decisions like in Walking Dead: The game.

It'd be interesting to see what consequences things like that'd have.
I’d like to make NPC AI not liner and add some random for their decisions (level of randomness depends on their alignment scale "Lawfull-Chaotic"). And I can tell the more foundation we get from such generous bakers like you, the deeper consequences we can invest for.

Well, what about talking with People? I've found it ridiculous that almost - Everybody - in Fallout trusts you as a little child a man with a lollypop. Like, you know, you can’t be a raider who wants to kill everybody.
You will be able to become a raider who wants to kill everybody. But I can’t imagine any group of conscious people (even other raiders) who will be glad to even talk to such sociopath. It is in heroic games you can beat dozens of hostiles. Reality is your chances to survive reduce decrease exponentially with any extra hostile engaged. Moreover it is realistic post-apocalypses, man. Very wrong world of your could be your last one. Let’s remember Fallout 2236 online simulation - people were so afraid of each other that if they met at the Wastelands they either shot first or run from each other in panic. Post-apoc is not the best timeline for sophisticated discussions.

What about resources? But how will you get your resources besides that? Why is there so much stuff around? Wouldn’t other People take the gun that is placed in a closet?
Good questions. Those questions indicate realism of RPG for grownups.

But what will happen when you get out of such an environment? What will we get when we move out of the Vault for the First time?
Eventually you shall know :)

Will the skin get tanned when we walk around (you walk around in a T-shirt in the gameplay video.)?
No. UG has the cutedging technologies of the whole united humanity of the year 2100+. I can’t imagine they can sustain human life underground without Vitamin D.

As it says in the Background video - all Nuclear Bombs on the world Explode.
To be precise, it says that no one knows for sure what has happened.

Which is - obviously - bad for the Earth's Economic System. The Earth's protection against Sun's UV-light is almost 0. (If the Earth'd even survive something like that. But lets assume it would. Cause you know, its the Earth.) How can that amount of water, we see on the map. (And as you said - its Waaaaa[add 500x "a" here]aay bigger than the picture) be there?
That is the question even the United Governments interested in. As they assumed, there had to be two stages of the Big Bang: first over flooding (like you can see on the maps) and then new Ice Age for everything on the planet due to dust clouds. But the second stage didn’t happen in the right way. Playing through the game you will be able to find out why.

What’s about all the different weapons and Armors? Will there actually be over-powered weapons? What about finding weapons? Will there be over-the-top armors? With all that blink-blink and funky-punky?
It should be realistic.

What about vehicles?
Still under consideration. Taking scientific consultations. And of course, your financial support could help as well.

Travel Markers, Good or Bad Friend? The Problem I see in Travel Markers is - Once you get there, you never try to get there on foot again. Hell, why spend another hour to walk there if you can just spawn your ass there? What’s your opinion?
Lots of interesting can happen while you travel somewhere on foot again.

How will the map work?
Like it is in Fallout 1&2.

Will there be any Towns?
Yes. Please read our News and Wiki carefully.

So, a thing that important to me is a Hardcore mode. Bigger, Stronger, Harder, Sleepier, Drunker. Will there be any? I know that some People don’t want to care about food, water and sleeping. Cause, you know, it’s a Game.
You won't need food (a valid assumption). But you will need water to travel around the global map.

Will there be Drugs?
Yes. We’ll do our best. Other extra depends on you donations.

Groups, Governments and People. What do you think about all that?
Please read our News and Wiki carefully.

Will there be translations into other languages?
It depends on the financial support we get from those native speakers.

By the way, I'm really interested in the outcome of this. Seems very well. Seems Sexy- rawr. I'd help you - if needed. In anything that I can.
Thank you, man. Back us and spread the news about us among your friend.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:33 PM   #56
Cassidy
-- registered --
  • Jan 2014
Will be there diseases that your char can get in the game?
Old 03-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #57
Okarix
-- co-founder --
  • Jan 2014
Here we go...again...=:D
You won't need food (a valid assumption). But you will need water to travel around the global map.
Why is it a valid assumption? I believe in any realistic situation,especially in a post-apoc ones, food will definitely be anyone's first and foremost consideration. Right, righ! I get fact that AR is a video game not a simulation and absolutely don't want it to head that way,but in my opinion,there still be a way to include it without downgrading any other aspect of the game except for a slight (?) increase of the difficulty. According to what you have post, if water is much needed to travel long distance in the desert then food should be necessary for preserving a good health. Just like it works out in real life, without food consumption in a long time,your body can't stay in good condition which result in a gradually decrease of some important stats like strength (your melee attack will become weaker), agility (harder to move and avoid enemy's hits,unable to run,your attack with range weapon will have less accuracy) and maximum health (50% at most) up to immediate death if you are not careful.

More importantly, in a post apocalypse scenario,food and water can be anything but commodity, which hold great value maybe even more than human life, so in order to survive the waste,you have to know how to find and cook your own food (cannibalism anybody?This problem will definitely be addressed in the game isn't it?). Nutrition of foods should come under consideration as well to fit with the realism aspect of the game, for example food with high nutrition will help your body last longer or you will need vegetables as much as you need meat. And of course you will need to sleep once in a while too,since you are not a robot. Thus,the inducing of these elements will be able to emphasize just how cruel the wasteland can be. Maybe a game with these elements will be considered by many casuals as punishing and inaccessible but it will be a game that make people think, pay attention, planning every move and that, my friend, is when true immersion comes in. Hence, a game like that will be something that stay with us long after the credit has rolled along with the meaning and lessons it holds within (I 'd love to learn the recipes of making weapon and drugs:) ).

Another thing I'd like to ask is the alien, they has been confirmed as a race residing the AR world right? Those subjects i want to become more clear is: Where do they come from? What is their business here? Their involvement in the Reset? Yeah, spoiler alert! I just hope that the answers to those questions will be presented well in the game, not go back embracing the tradition "Alien invade Earth for minerals and slaves" cliche plot. Logically, if they are that developed, why don't they make their own robots and clones to work for them instead of some primitive stand-on-two-feets monkeys and as far as I know, there could be a bunch of other planets full of minerals uncontaminated by human in the universe, so that type of plot simply just makes no sense.

I know I shouldn't be asking too much but these are just what I think that will benefit the experience of After Reset. Something like a New Vegas's hardcore mode in which you have to eat and sleep in order to stay alive would be great! And because the game aims at realistic, these are elements that you must account for in a believable way! Anyway, thanks for your time!

Last edited by Okarix; 03-03-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:06 AM   #58
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
Why is it a valid assumption? I believe in any realistic situation, especially in a post-apoc ones, food will definitely be anyone's first and foremost consideration.
We tried that already (floor and bedrolls and other PnP deeply hardcore elements) on Neverwinter Nights 1&2 PWs. Trust me, even hardcore players are getting tired of food consumption systems, eventually. That could still work in PW's but not in single RPG.

More importantly, in a post apocalypse scenario,food and water can be anything but commodity, which hold great value maybe even more than human life, so in order to survive the waste, you have to know how to find and cook your own food. Nutrition of foods should come under consideration as well to fit with the realism aspect of the game, for example food with high nutrition will help your body last longer or you will need vegetables as much as you need meat.
You're right. We are going to make food and water precious valuables of the AR world. And their value will differ from one place to another. Ammo, weapons, food, water, women, shelter - are top priority needs for the survivors.

And of course you will need to sleep once in a while too, since you are not a robot.
Sure. You will fing it pretty close to Baldur's Gate sleep/rest system.

Hence, a game like that will be something that stay with us long after the credit has rolled along with the meaning and lessons it holds within (I 'd love to learn the recipes of making weapon and drugs:) ).
What can I say? I'd like to. Frankly, we can teach you even how to make a handmade nuclear bomb in post-apoc world. If this is allowed... :)

Another thing I'd like to ask is the alien, they has been confirmed as a race residing the AR world right?
Not quite. They appeared on Earth before the Reset and during a short period after. But then there was no confirmation of their residence. Only Artifacts left, silent and unreachable. And several evidences of terramorphing proves some kind of alien influence on biosphere of the Earth. But for the generations of survivors which don't remember the Earth before the Reset it looks like their home world.

Those subjects I want to become more clear is: Where do they come from? What is their business here? Their involvement in the Reset? Yeah, spoiler alert! I just hope that the answers to those questions will be presented well in the game, not go back embracing the tradition "Alien invade Earth for minerals and slaves" cliche plot.
No spoilers. I hope to surprise you :)
Old 03-07-2014, 03:30 PM   #59
Okarix
-- co-founder --
  • Jan 2014
So we will be fighting biomass in the prologue then? Which is kind of strange since according to the novel and the bunker lore, they are very dangerous creatures to an extent that they have to be locked in such a place and prove quite a challenge to a fully-trained, well-armed solider of the UG (otherwise we wouldn't have a prequel at all ). If the Prologue is indeed covering the beginning part of the game,i do not see any chance of survival at all in an encounter with such hideous creatures given the fact that the character I play just wake up from a coma, almost is empty - handed (he definitely do not have much loots to begin with and I don't think giving access to a variety of cool weapons in such an early state of the game is a good ideal ) and especially being in...lv 1.:)

Last edited by Okarix; 03-08-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #60
Cassidy
-- registered --
  • Jan 2014
Will the co-founder package stay like that until the late august? I will just be able to buy it around that time :( Also, I am not sure if you saw that I asked about sickness... will be there any kind of sickness ingame?