Old 05-25-2015, 04:06 PM   #141
jetcutter
-- co-founder --
  • Jul 2013
None
@ Richard, keep up the good work. Can't wait to see the product!
Old 05-29-2015, 06:23 PM   #142
The Traveller
-- co-founder --
  • Dec 2013
What jetcutter said above! It will be something to play, this one.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:46 PM   #143
littleONE
-- registered --
  • Sep 2015
Hello! Sorry for my english, but it looks like nobody sitting in russian forum (or I just too impatient).
So here is my questions:
1. Can we change the character face?
2. How all of this U.G. cool laser weapons deal with EMP? Cause... you know it's not very smart to equip the army,which is protecting you, with weapons that can be burn out by simple EMP bomb (we ACTUALLY have some prototypes TODAY, so it very likely).
Please answer the modest (I hope translator translate "скромный" correctly) fan!

Last edited by littleONE; 09-26-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:54 AM   #144
Mr. Stone
-- registered --
  • May 2015
I'll start by saying it's good to see an update. It can't be easy making a complex, non-linear game with a small development team. Now, reading your patch notes, I found the writing about the worm to be a bit awkward. I would say the main reason is sentence structure although there are other reasons too. I'm not a great writer, but I thought I would provide some suggestions, at least for the first description, although I think all three of them really need some improvement.

This creepy meat-colored worm (I thought of the color red when I read this, not white and pale) with a whole bunch of teeth on one end is very flexible (there's no reason to split the adjectives. This just makes for awkward structure.). You note a few smaller specimens writhing around in this amalgam of worms, leeches and snakes, but it looks like 20 inches is as long as these nasty buggers get (The last part of this sentence is too wordy. Should definitely be rephrased more concisely.). You don't notice anything like an eye on the surface of this "worm," but it appears that this creature is quite skilled at spatial navigation (There's really nothing wrong with this sentence but I think it could be phrased better.). It is great at finding its victims (living or dead) and will happily crawl into them (or eat them?) (I would avoid using parenthesis in this way and certainly not so extensively. In fact, I would recommend not using parenthesis all together, since they very easily make for awkward reading.). Basically, no matter what it does, it's disgusting.

If you don't mind, here is just one example of how to rephrase the above paragraph more clearly.

These fleshy and flexible worms have rows of needle-like teeth protruding from one end. You have seen several specimens, all of which vary in size, the largest being roughly 20 inches. While these worms seem to be blind, lacking anything resembling an eye, they are quite skilled at spatial navigation. You suspect they possess a potent sense of smell, or perhaps some form of electrosensory, as they quickly find and devour any prey -- living or dead. If there was one word to describe these creatures, it would be "disgusting."

Anyways, I'm glad to hear your game has progressed, but I think the writing desperately needs improvement, the second and third description included. As much as I enjoy what I've seen and read about your game, I would have a hard time playing through it if the writing was consistently like this. That said, the game is still in early development, so I'm not concerned.

Last edited by Mr. Stone; 09-27-2015 at 04:55 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:29 PM   #145
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
Hi guys. Thanks for your rooting and questions.

Hello! Sorry for my english, but it looks like nobody sitting in russian forum (or I just too impatient).
Our moderator for Russian community posted answers for your questions yesterday. Check there.

If you don't mind, here is just one example of how to rephrase the above paragraph more clearly.
Much obliged for your help, Mr. Stone. We check/proof text with two editors usually but your version I find much more better. Implemented: there.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:29 PM   #146
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
We received several interesting lore-related questions on our Developer Q&A forum from littleONE. I’d like to share my answers with all of you today. There are no spoilers.

You mention that by 132 A.R. energy weapons almost displaced firearms in the Underearth, right?
Indeed. Frankly, that happened even earlier, though that was caused by various economical, technological, social, and geographical reasons. It wasn’t just some egghead saying "wow, the future is coming... let’s get some cool energy weapons like in old Past Age sci-fi movies."

The transfer took time and was motivated by costs. The manufacturing and maintenance expenses of the energy weapons and their ammo turned out to be cheaper than firearms (and probably more sustainable).

Second, the UG technologies by that time allowed a smooth transition to that type of weapon (there is one sci-fi literary assumption about compact and cheap enough sources of generation, accumulation and storage of energy).

Third, geographical whereabouts of Underearth cities (small caves, tunnels, and splits) required specific approaches to personal weapons. The UG’s police department needed silenced weapons, and anyone who’s fired a gun in a confined space knows how devastating it is to your eardrums. This is especially true for the first colonists who hadn’t yet launched the massive construction of the cave megalopolises.
Fourth, social accessibility of atomic printers (by the last decades of the first century A.R.) made these weapons available to the middle class.

Over time, each of the aforementioned reasons led to the eventual abandonment of conventional firearms.

Looking ahead and speaking about the life of the Surface (by 132 A.R.), where the game will mostly take place, I might say that there is almost no energy weapons left in hands of Survivors or Natives. They may be rarely found, rather like the katana in Baldur’s Gate 1. Most of the firearms you’ll find among Survivors are DIY models.

However, Natives produce quite nice classic rifles as well as ammo for them. Also, the New Confederacy accumulates all working firearms left on the Surface from the Past Age.

Doesn’t everything that is powered by electricity have a massive vulnerability to EMP? Does that mean that any law enforcement or army force can be set out of order by EMI bomb that will burn their energy weapon?
Well, according to EWF (abbr. Bureau of Energy Weapons, Firearms and Explosives) of the United Governments, all energy-based weaponry in Underearth can be categorized into four groups:

Group A. The models for open civil market (some of them might have simple and cheap Faraday protection measures).

Group B. Law enforcement grade weaponry (all of them have enhanced Molecular Faraday protection which allows to resist most of the EMI grenades from the open and black markets).

Group C. Army grade models. Most of them are equal to Group B. but they also include special models developed since the beginning of second century A.R., especially for Military Corps with marking "GO" – i.e. "For Ground Operations"... and that weaponry can even function within the Red Zones... at least theoretically.

Group V. Private models (usually very expensive) developed and manufactured by the private order of privileged corporations. Might have all features from the groups above, but their legality is questionable.
Group Z. Home-made energy weapons (usually don’t have any EMI protection). Most of them, as a spoon or kitchen knife, can’t be treated by the law as a weapon till they are used as a weapon.

I’d like to remind everyone that After Reset setting is a HARD SCI-FI setting. So, EMP should burn out any non-protected electronics. Not just switch it temporary like it usually does in most of "amateur" universes and popular TV-shows for housewives and teens. What about the aftermath of an EMP detonation? What will the Earth of After Reset be like?
You’re right. By the 132 A.R. on the Surface you are unlikely to find any working electronics from the Past Age. Most of it was burned out during the Reset. The remnants of it were eaten by corrosion and radiation or by other environmental factors without remorse. However, some "gismos" (out of order) can still be found in arid desert environments (like several states of ex-USA) or in ice-covered ice deserts (like areas of ex-Africa).
Old 01-11-2016, 10:27 AM   #147
littleONE
-- registered --
  • Sep 2015
Can you please inform the moderator of Russian community, that I left a comment?
I think that he has not yet recovered from the New Year :)
Old 01-12-2016, 08:16 AM   #148
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
Originally Posted by littleONE View Post
Can you please inform the moderator of Russian community, that I left a comment?
Done :)
Old 10-02-2016, 01:15 AM   #149
Okarix
-- co-founder --
  • Jan 2014
So how's things going? It has been months since the last update.

By the way, it's may still be a bit early, may i ask aside from the co-op option, is there any furthur plan for multiplayer feature? Some people say that the future of isometric crpg is coop-rpg. I understand that making money is the goal all company strive to, if only to stay afloat. Nonetheless, there're still those of us who enjoy playing game just as reading books - an experience that we prefer to do alone, and making exclusive contents for multiplayer is taking things a bit too far imo. Forgive my rambling, hope to hear more of your game soon...

Last edited by Okarix; 10-02-2016 at 01:20 AM.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:10 PM   #150
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
Originally Posted by Okarix View Post
So how's things going? It has been months since the last update.
Hi, Okarix. I'm waiting for the final build for the update with saving/loading enabled from our lead programmer. Recon to be able to download it within next few hours. Also still waiting for the news text for the update and article (report for each month of the development since the KS) proofed. All stuff should arrive today/tomorrow. Then I'll be ready to upload and publish everything.

Bear in mind, the coming update intended to be the last update before official release of the prologue. It will contain Summer Report (that was available to Co-Fouders earlier) and detailed report in a form of article about the monthly development since the KS (that should provide answer for non-backers and non-Co-Founders on the question "Why has it taken so long to create the prologue"). I'll post the preview of this article here on Co-Founders sub-forum as well, as soon as I receive proofed version from Jeremy. If everything goes right, this article we'll spread openly the day of the AR RPG prologue release.

Originally Posted by Okarix View Post
By the way, it's may still be a bit early, may i ask aside from the co-op option, is there any furthur plan for multiplayer feature? Some people say that the future of isometric crpg is coop-rpg. I understand that making money is the goal all company strive to, if only to stay afloat. Nonetheless, there're still those of us who enjoy playing game just as reading books - an experience that we prefer to do alone, and making exclusive contents for multiplayer is taking things a bit too far imo. Forgive my rambling, hope to hear more of your game soon...
Indeed. That is quite early to discuss it. Though, as you might know from the Summer Report, we perform experiments on multiplayer itself for the utterly MMO secret project. We still study various of tech solutions and possibilities to work multiplayer as relevant cool experience. As our credo (BCS's one) forged as "developing games for grownups" the boring mass crowd variant (grins, spend time, donate, repeat) is not acceptable - it's dull and there are a heavy competition there. I got several cool ideas (as I believe, because in that king of intelligent multiplayer I'd spend playing for several years of my time myself). Though, they are quite unconventional and retire a lot of resources (money, programmers extremely experienced in multiplayer architectures for Unity, programmers with deep math background perfectly comprehending the String Theory for 11 dimensions.

Anyway, while we experimenting the open source solutions are growing each day. So it would be sensible to focus attention on co-op not earlier than 4th chapter of AR RPG is done.