Old 11-30-2014, 11:57 PM   #131
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
Originally Posted by Ole View Post
I see the character level does not exceed lvl 20, will it be challenging to gain xp?
Indeed, it will.

Originally Posted by Ole View Post
And will weapons and armor have lvl lock or some other features?
No lock, like in original Fallout 1&2. I already tested it when I was RP DM. Random encounters and random drop make every new game unique and fun. I mean, you can occasionally find a cool firearm but that won't broke the balance: what is the sense of a weapon if you cant buy or create ammo for it? Quite realistic, isn't it?

Originally Posted by ABC Warrior View Post
Will this be extended in the future or is it fixed?
Don't worry - you'll get so many ways to develop your character that I'm not even sure you'll reveal at least a half of them during your first play-through. One of the unique feature of SACPIC game mechanics we developed is that it is sharpened for horizontal leveling, not only for vertical one. The levels bring more opportunity to get feats; but the feats could be get by not only leveling but by quests, achievements, equipment, professions, events, your augment's upgrades (the last one doesn't bond to your leveling at all), etc. So in general, it will be very hard to develop your character but, with that, you'll have almost no limits in the ways to do that.

And don't forget that like in real life, God made everyone different, but Colonel Colt evened the playing field. Good or bad, level three or seven, a lot of strength or a little - in the expanses of the wasteland, what matters is who holds the gun :)

Originally Posted by ABC Warrior View Post
Also will you do something to encode saved game files so that can't be easily modified?
I reckon, there will be no sense in modifying saves. When you play in hardcore/global mode your game session will be automatically synchronized with our "STORY/SETTING SERVER" and you'll have only one-off ticket to upload you session to it. Thus, I believe, this will be the first time in the history of video games when you, your choices, your mistakes, your achievements etc. are really able to affect the whole setting. Therefore there is no reasons to hack your saves - the most delicious cookie is that they are youth, your choices and your consequences.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:08 AM   #132
ABC Warrior
-- co-founder --
  • Aug 2014
Wow every time awkward game play questions come up you have great logically thought out answers to them already implemented into the core design of the game! The more I read and post on here the more I just really want to play the game. I think more long time tabletop GMs should influence PC RPG game design from the get go and not just for flavor like you have as we would have more games out there that truly take take tabletop to the PC. Tabletop RPGing may have died somewhat in the past decade but it is great to see a real future in the video game side of things and this is my greatest hope yet. RPGs make you think whereas most PC games especially MMOs these days are repetitive kill, get and return tasks without the depth and flavor of a real GMs input. I also really like the way you are going for mimicking what is true in real life. Bring on the Beta! I also hope you bring out a tabletop version of your game as that would be the icing on the cake but I realize that is not a priority.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:12 AM   #133
Ole
-- co-founder --
  • Nov 2014
I'm happy with these answers...and yes I too get the feeling you're mentioning ABC Warrior. I truly hope this game and it's designers is given the recognition they deserve when it hits the finishing stage. This is going to be awsome! My fingers are restless!
Old 01-04-2015, 05:20 PM   #134
Osman
-- developer --
  • Sep 2014
Hey there :) Thanks for rooting for us, guys!
Old 03-04-2015, 05:38 PM   #135
X41823T
-- registered --
  • Mar 2015
Greetings,

Are there any plans for a "pre-purchase" deal for After reset on STEAM or is that too early for such a thing to take place?
Old 03-04-2015, 06:01 PM   #136
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
Originally Posted by X41823T View Post
Are there any plans for a "pre-purchase" deal for After reset on STEAM or is that too early for such a thing to take place?
Thank you for you willingness to support us. Such attitude inspires and means really a lot for small indie teams like us. Yesterday we sent all required data to the Steam. We're waiting for final approve by Valve soon.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:46 AM   #137
Mr. Stone
-- registered --
  • May 2015
A Few Questions on After Reset
Edit: I just realized there is a Dev Q&A Thread. I probably should have posted this there. Apologies.

Hello. I've been following this project off and on for quite some time now and I have to say I've got high hopes for the end product. That said, with the recent updates, I have finally decided to make an account and ask a few question I have been wondering about.

One thing I have been thinking about is the alignment system. In many games, a good action and a bad action cancel out. They zero sum and this can cause wild swings in alignment. In reality, this does not make any sense. True moral change requires time. I guess my question is what are the actual mechanics behind the alignment system?

I was also wondering if more could be said of the dialogue system. Namely, will it be possible to complete most of the game through dialogue as in Fallout and Planescape? As something to consider, I think Arcanum provides an excellent framework for a brilliant dialogue system. In Arcanum, resolving conflict through dialogue often requires a sequence of correct dialogue choices. The player isn't indicated which ones are correct, even if they have sufficient skill, and there are multiple positive and negative outcomes. I think this type of system is great because an actual conversation occurs rather than one spoken line that in reality wouldn't be very convincing. Will this be the type of dialogue that is presented in After Reset?

Last edited by Mr. Stone; 05-12-2015 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:43 PM   #138
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
Originally Posted by Mr. Stone View Post
Edit: I just realized there is a Dev Q&A Thread. I probably should have posted this there. Apologies.
Hi there. No problem, I've just moved your post here.

I guess my question is what are the actual mechanics behind the alignment system?
You might be missed that topic: http://www.afterreset.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89.

Beyond that, I can say there's no Good-Bad scale in SACPIC game mechanics as you can see. One of the reason I chose that timeline (132 A.R.) is because there is no dominant society group of people to present the dogma of that scaling. The New Confederacy is preparing to war with the UG which they regard like smth. like American Revolutionary War (if the CCA wins - they are good, the UG are bad; if the UG wins - they are good, the CCA are bad). The Indian Alliance regards CCA as a band of scums and animals; with that the IA doesn't believe in the existence of the UG. Etc. There's no dogma by that time. That is the time of individuals, opportunists, great people, explorations and discoveries. The time where the great river of the future takes origin.

Speaking about people, I can say that real life is not just black and white. But I bet you know it. You can't determine Joel from The Last of Us as Evil just because he kills everyone who threaten his "daughter" and because he rips off the cure for humanity that could save millions. You can't judge him that as Evil because he do everything, even sacrifice himself, to protect that girl became his "daughter". You know what I mean.

Will this be the type of dialogue that is presented in After Reset?
When it comes to the dialogue system you can bear up for the Fallout 1&2. Well, I hope you will see that in the coming patch yourself.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:36 AM   #139
Mr. Stone
-- registered --
  • May 2015
I was wondering if you could possibly share some examples of dialogue in AR? Or perhaps that is what you intend to do in the next update.

Last edited by Mr. Stone; 05-18-2015 at 01:37 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:18 AM   #140
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
I was wondering if you could possibly share some examples of dialogue in AR? Or perhaps that is what you intend to do in the next update.
It is quite classic Fallout'ish: Feel free to download the GUI design for the dialogue system within that pack: http://afterreset.com/ARMEDIA/NEWS/310114/interf.zip if that is what you implied. If you meant examples of the dialogue text than I'd suggest you to wait till the coming patch as it should contain dialogues themselves: http://steamcommunity.com/app/335850/discussions/0/611703999964964217/.