Old 01-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #1
MrNixon
-- administrator --
  • Jul 2013
After Reset RPG (tech build) impressions
As you know, we send Instant Access to our tech build from the videos for every our backer. I've just encountered we should create this topic for your impressions. So feel free to share.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
Woiq
-- registered --
  • Jan 2014
Hello.

Just tried the tech version, and it blew me away. I just have to say that you have a great concept on your hands and with the right amount of work and dedication it has all the chances to blossom in to a game to rival the RPG classics! I sincerely hope that you will be able to follow your passion and finish this project on the level that it deserves to be. In fact, I'm going to make a few more pledges soon to help support the development. It makes me happy to realize that there is something I can do to help make this a reality.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:25 AM   #3
PrinceAlden
-- registered --
  • Jan 2014
I was impressed with the amount of detail that went into the animations. The turning animation in particular was a favorite of mine. Most games have your character lean waaay too far or not far enough when turning at angles. This animation made me feel that my character had a very real "weight" to them when moving around the world.

Obviously, there is a lot of content to be added to the base game, but as a base, I thought it was very well implemented.

The main problem I had was the right mouse turning speed. It felt very hard to control the speed at which the camera rotated with the mouse. The arrow keys on the other hand worked perfectly fine for this, but I do hope a sensitivity option is added for the mouse camera controls.

Really looking forward to what comes next. Thanks for the great start and I hope to see more soon.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
SubjectEight
-- co-founder --
  • Dec 2013
I appreciate the attention to the basic mechanics of PC and camera locomotion. The fact that moving both the PC and the camera are intuitive and responsive this early on in the project give me high hopes for the rest of the UI.

I especially like the range of view the camera can achieve; From an almost over-head, top-down view to a nearly over-the-shoulder ( Edit: turns out I only got this close bc I messed with the camera attributes but I hope they increase the range for the final game because: ). This creates a rather cinematic feel for the game, and suggests that you'll be putting in a lot of detail within this expansive world.

Originally Posted by PrinceAlden View Post
The main problem I had was the right mouse turning speed. It felt very hard to control the speed at which the camera rotated with the mouse. The arrow keys on the other hand worked perfectly fine for this, but I do hope a sensitivity option is added for the mouse camera controls.
Alden, if you press 'o' while in game you should see a frame rate count in the lower right and an options window appear. Within the options you can adjust lost of things from the PC's speed to camera operation attributes. You'll be able to slow down the camera rotation speed. I've found that the options window doesn't show in resolutions lower than 1024x600. Check the readme if you have issues.

I hope that in the final release of the game Black Cloud chooses to include the extra camera settings that we have access to now ( because I like my camera to have a wider range of zooming and rotate a little slower than the default settings ).

Last edited by SubjectEight; 01-28-2014 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Edited to address Alden's camera speed issues
Old 01-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
PrinceAlden
-- registered --
  • Jan 2014
Oh wow, I hadn't even realized. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-20-2014, 01:44 AM   #6
ForceX
-- co-founder --
  • Feb 2014
My first impression of the tech build is positive.

Character: A+
The character has great detail and represents a good portion on the screen with the default camera settings.

Animations: A
The animations are nicely done though the character does "slide" a small bit when walking / running and when transitioning from Run to Idle can look a bit odd at times, possibly utilize a slowdown animation to blend between run and idle?

The default walk speed of 8 feels good but with the current run animation upping the run speed to 20 felt more appropriate.

Camera: A
Camera rotation feels off with the mouse, like it is frame rate dependent. Is it using Time.deltaTime to control rotation speeds? Collision detection works well but should probably ignore some of the smaller environment assets like tree trunks.

Environment: A+
The environment has great detail, the modeling and textures are fantastic, and from what I've seen are only getting better. Even though this is a tech build the size feels right for random encounters. It's large enough to provide that sense of exploration.

Sound: A+
Love the music & wind sound. The rattle snake sounds like it gets cut off though.

Last edited by ForceX; 02-20-2014 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #7
Binakot
-- developer --
  • Jul 2013
Fresh Tech Demo review on YouTube: http://youtu.be/wn7lK1yF-yU
Old 04-04-2014, 10:44 AM   #8
inimigo
-- co-founder --
  • Apr 2014
Looking forward to tyring this out. Just need to find the time between work & family.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:03 AM   #9
Gnostic
-- co-founder --
  • May 2014
Originally Posted by Binakot View Post
Fresh Tech Demo review on YouTube: http://youtu.be/wn7lK1yF-yU
Looks very detail, the avatar footwork even shift as you turn.
What's the hardware specification to support such graphic?

I hope you already lock down the hardware specification for this game as optimization will be a nightmare with so many different PC hardware, processor, graphic cards, ram.

Hardware optimization is important as it will lead to overheating, crashes, memory dump error.

Many a big publisher failed at this, it may be attributed to "Rush" projects, but so many variety of the PC hardware also make it impossible to optimized for all variety. As you have a smaller budget, your only option may be to optimized for certain high tier rigs, then release the full game 2 years later when more people will have a better PC / Laptop.

You may want to have a closed beta for ironing out these bugs before going to Steam Early Access.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:07 AM   #10
Binakot
-- developer --
  • Jul 2013
Originally Posted by Gnostic View Post
Looks very detail, the avatar footwork even shift as you turn.
What's the hardware specification to support such graphic?

I hope you already lock down the hardware specification for this game as optimization will be a nightmare with so many different PC hardware, processor, graphic cards, ram.

Hardware optimization is important as it will lead to overheating, crashes, memory dump error.

Many a big publisher failed at this, it may be attributed to "Rush" projects, but so many variety of the PC hardware also make it impossible to optimized for all variety. As you have a smaller budget, your only option may be to optimized for certain high tier rigs, then release the full game 2 years later when more people will have a better PC / Laptop.

You may want to have a closed beta for ironing out these bugs before going to Steam Early Access.
Thanks for the comment.

As you might know we are working with modified Unity3D engine, thus general hardware requirements for graphics features you can find here.

Speaking of game system requirements, you can orient around the following requirements:

Minimum:
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia 260 GTS / Radeon 4000 series - 512 MB of VRAM
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 20 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX compatible sound card

Recommended:
Processor: Intel i3 series or equivalent
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia 460 GTX / Radeon 5770 - 1 GB of VRAM
DirectX: Version 11.0
Hard Drive: 20 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX compatible sound card

Requirements for Linux and OS X versions are quite similar to the Windows requirements. But we will specify exact requirements for each platform later by SEA release.

Last edited by Binakot; 06-26-2014 at 11:09 AM.